1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 or Pioneer VSX-909RDS or Other with Kef Crestas?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rp71, Jan 29, 2002.

Tags:
  1. rp71

rp71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in need to some excellent cinema sound and I have a fairly small room. At present I have two Kef Cresta 2 front speakers, and was thinking about buying cresta 3's for the rear, and a kef centre.

Now my problem is, I was looking into Denon 3802 or Pioneer VSX-909RDS. I have read many reviews and can't make my mind up. Also is it worth paying so much for the amp/reciever when I'm only planning on using kef cresta speakers. I intend on getting an expensive amp so it will last a few years and I can get better speakers later on.

Is there an alternative that will give me better sound for my money? If so what is it?

Thanks

richard

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon has all you want in one amp approx £650......... were as the Pioneer you will need a power amp to listen to 6.1/7.1 as it has only 5 channels approx £850 + £250 for the M-10X power amp.
    Have you thought about a demo....

Denon 1 Pioneer 0

3. rp71

rp71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have thought about a demo, but its unlikely somewhere would set up my exact speakers, and you can't really tell until you try it in your own room.

Thanks for your view. I was swaying towards the 3802 myself.

If you were buying an amp/reciever now for home cinema, what would you buy for the same kinda price range?

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the past i have had Technics, Yamaha and Denon.
    Got my Denon3801 about 6months ago........had a good look round and had plenty of demo's but to me nothing came close..........not for the same money.......!!

True....... then ask them to set it up with something close to what you have............you mention you want better speakers at a later date, so you will want to hear how it peforms with them aswell.......!!

5. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use a 3802 with Cresta 1's for L/R/rears and rear/centres.

I have Naim gear for the fronts.

I am pleased with the movie sound and would recommend the 3802/Cresta setup to anyone.