Denon 3802 or A1d for CDM-1nts

handshaker

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to spend £500 for a decent AV amp capable of
driving a pair of CDM-1nts at the front. I'm considering either the
a1d or 3802 second hand.

Would the 3802 have enough muscle for these speakers ( I know they need plenty of clean power to sound their best), or should I go for a A1d?

thanks
David

If you can afford it, go with the A1d. The only problem is that the A1d is quite old and doesn't have PLII or 7.1 capabilities. If you're not worried about that then go for the A1d. I have a 3802 and it's good, although for the CD1-NTs I would definitely fork out the extra.

thanks for replying.

I also wonder whether it's worth pairing a cheaper Denon amp
with my Roksan caspian power amp.

David

If you want 7.1 capability, I'd go for a 3802 with the caspian amp. There's no real point in buying the A1D over the 3802 or suchlike if you're going to add external amps, as the A1D is a little outdated as far as processing goes.

I agree the AVD-A1D might be outdated in some aspects, but is much better in terms of sound quality and power handling, both for music and movies. :)

hi malan i ve got 3802 and was using with cdm1nts the 3802and cdms for av use do benifit from the addition of a power amp driving fronts

tried with linn lk85 and rotel 985mk1 5 channel power,you do not say wether av is main priorty or sterio replay is important as well ,

think the denon (3802) is a bit underpowered anyway .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom