1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 or A11SR with THX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DEO, Jun 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been viewing this fantastic forum for weeks now and am ready to buy Denon 3802 or A11SR, I seriously need advice.

Main difference (apart from £1100) appears to be THX ultra but (1) do you need to buy THX certified speakers? and (2) do many DVDs take advantage of THX?

Furthermore: I thought B&W 603s (or equivalent Mission/JBL) would go nicely with the 3802. However if you spend the extra money on the A11SR do you really need better (THX certified?) speakers such as the CM series?

I am not into Music HiFi that much, it is AV, the room is 7m by 6m softly furnished, and the TV and DVD player have not yet been purchased.

I would appreciate your help!

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    1. You do not need THX speakers, it's optional.

2. THX processing can be applied to all sources, i.e. even TV broadcast (if in DPL).
    THX certification for DVDs is IMHO useless not to say bs (e.g. Highlander R1).

3. As above (1.), even you buy a THX certified amp, THX certified speakers remain an option. If you are not that much into music as you say I would have no objection; but note that THX speakers generally do not perform that well with music.

3. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That George Lucas, he's having a laugh ain't he...

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Some DVD's are certified by THX and that is what Reiner is referring to. All DVD's can by replayed via THX processing which I certainly prefer on my Denon.

If you go this route, have a look at M&K speakers. Some of their range are not THX certified to save licencing fees but appear to be manufactured to the same standards.

When you have purchased it all, please invite me round for a listen :)

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like the A11SR amp (if I can find the extra cash!).

The B&W speakers were going to cost around £1300 for 5 speakers plus a sub. As the A11SR is £1700 do you think I will need better speakers judging by the 4:3:2:1 rule? For AV purposes is a subwoofer essential even if you have floor standers at the front?

I will certainly look in to the M&K speakers, I don't want to waste extra money on the more expensive A11SR if the cheaper 603 speakers are going to let it down!

6. billduff

billduff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the 4:3:2:1 rule. ??

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

You might want to have a look at www.leconcepts.com and their price for the A11SR.

You´re likely to get more performance out of the B&W´s running them with the A11SR and its superior amplification etc. Also as mentioned before you dont need to have THX certified speakers etc to go with a THX amp etc etc.

Also dont forget the A11SR is a seven channel amp with EX/ES decoding so you´ll need an extra pair of speakers as rear centres to take advantage of this.

A subwoofer is an essential part of the AV system even if you have floorstanding speakers at the front, not many floorstanders can reach the low frequencies that a decent sub can.

Other speakers to consider are Kefs newer Q range (the Q1´s are 250 quid a pair. 3 pairs of these and a single one for centre duties paired with a decent Rel sub would do nicely) or perhaps the older Reference range as theY are being discounted now.

As with all things, demo the equipment and go with what sounds best to you.

Cheers

8. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4:3:2:1 is probably something that novice AV people like me have picked up from the mags. It suggests spending 40% of your budget on speakers, 30% on amplifier, 20% on DVD player and 10% on cabling.

I think the combination of B&W 603s (£1200): Denon 3802 (£800) : Sony DVD9000 (£500): cabling (£250) in my case adds up to £1250. This ratio is 43:30:18:9 which seems a good balance to me.

Perhaps one of the experts will assert that this is too simplistic a way of looking at things.

The problem is that if I now more than double what I spend on the amp, presumably I need to do the same with the other components and the whole budget gets smashed to pieces!

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I wouldnt go with the Ratio thing to be honest.

Also bear in mind that there are certain products that are reasonable money that outperform higher priced products such as the Toshiba 210 dvd player, Kef Q15 & Q1 speakers, Paradigm subwoofers, PDR 10, PS1000 & Servo 15 to mention a few.

Whats your total budget for the entire system?? Then we can come up with various suggestions.

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    That doesn't necessarily apply especially as your system is for home cinema and not music. Have a look at the Pioneer 545 DVD player which is an excellent player with two scart sockets (useful for daisychaining the digibox) and a lot cheaper than the Sony.

Cabling cost depends on the size of your room and the placement of your speakers.

11. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry guys, I accidentally posted the message below in a new thread instead of as a reply to this thread.

You can see i am new here!

Hi Jase:

Ignoring the TV I have two budgets for amp/dvd/speakers, the realistic budget where I have £2500 available.

The dream budget is more flexible where I will beg, borrow or steal in order to buy a system which is significantly better. This will be a max budget of £4000.

If the size of room (7m by 6m) and the non-requirement for HIFI sound means the extra £1500 gives only a marginal improvement then I will find it hard to justify that extra outlay.

At the moment I have 4 year old 29" Sony but will upgrade that to a 42" Plasma at end of year. So I may need to accommodate progressive scan?

Cheers

:)

12. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Ok

For the 2500 budget, how about this:

Denon 3802 - 630 quid from leconcepts

Toshiba SD510 - 350 quid from leconcepts

Paradigm subs PS1000 x 2 - 150 quid each from Richer Sounds on offer at the mo.

Kef Q1 x 4 pairs, gives you a spare unless you find someone to sell you a single one - 250 quid a pair.

Total = 2280 leaves you 220 quid for cabling.

Or the higher budget consider the A11SR & Toshiba SD900 both from leconcepts 1400 & 700 quid respectively. You could still use the Kefs or look at the M&K range of speakers, the K series or the S85´s but the budget will jump up each time!!

13. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi there,

Save even more money by getting the Tosh SD510 from Richer Sounds for £199.99 (or £249.99 for multiregion)

Dave

14. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd go for the Denon 11, spend about 2-300 on the DVD and the rest on speakers. The speakers will have the most profound effect on what you hear so try to audition several short list candidates. You might want to add Dynaudio BM5s to the list. The Paradigm subs would still keep you on budget (just) if you shop around.

Have a look at Van Damme cabling.