denon 3802, more bass for dts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by keyser, Nov 20, 2002.

Tags:
  1. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just watched lord of the rings extended version and I found that the dts es sound had less bass than the dd one, which is often the case with dts. Can I increase the bass on dts without altering the DD bass, or do I constantly have to change the settings when altering from DD movies and DTS??

And also.. I get the best sound from my dvd by connecting it via coaxial, that should sound better than connecting the five? analogue outputs from the DVD players decoder to the amp??

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,363
    The reason is you are not utiising the LFe track without a sub woofer, so you are not getting the full impact of the LFE track. Make sure you select no sub in the set up menu.

3. keyser

keyser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have it setup with "no sub" in the setup menu. That way the LFE should be passed to my fronts (or is it all speakers set to large?) and I shouldn´t loose any of the LFE channel that way should I?

I can make my whole room shake with many movies, including lord of the rings. But the dts es sountrack has considerably less bass. If you have the movie check it out and see if you agree.

Is there any way to incrase the DTS bass in the setup without having to change it everytime I put in a DD movie?

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    bass in LOTR is OTT on the DD mix imho.....DTS is subtly better:D

5. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,315
    The Denon´s store Channel Levels for Dolby/DTS/Pro-Logic as one setting so changing something in one mode has a knock on effect for the others.

You could try the LFE settings but they are usually both set at 0 (max). It would be possible to lower the Dolby LFE setting but its possible you´d have to keep changing it from film to film.

As people have mentioned, it sounds like its the dvds DTS mix thats the problem not the hardware/setup.