Denon 3802 - messing with my FQ75?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by astonbilla, Mar 27, 2002.

Tags:
  1. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi all,

i just got a denon 3802 yesterday. i have it on the bottom shelf of my standard fq75 stand.

My question is this :- is this causing interferance with my assorted tv signals?

When i first looked at my sky digital i thought, oooh must turn on my noise reduction. IT WAS ALREADY ON MID!!

then i noticed ghosting on my dvd playback (dv725) and im sure it wasn't here before.

When i turn the amp on cold, after the wee boom noise my tv got a nice green stain in the corner of the screen

Then to top it off my XBOX images were pathetic with constant waves running from one side to the other.

Now - am i imagining this or am i doing something wrong???

please help - this amp is only a day old

2. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe that the Denon amp could indeed be messing with your TV signals.

I had originally planned to locate my new 3802 under the telly, but I'm moved it about 5m away as the manual states:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Noise or disturbance of the picture may be generated if this unit or
    any other electronic equipment using microprocessors is used near a
    tuner or TV.
    If this happens, take the following steps:
    • Install this unit as far as possible from the tuner or TV.
    • Set the antenna wires from the tuner or TV away from this unit’s
    power cord and input/output connection cords."
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try moving it away from the TV and see what happens.

Hope that helps,
    Adele.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Have you changed the way you have connected your sources to your TV? I.e. going from SCART to SCART to using the amp to switch S-Video?
    Mark

4. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    No i haven't done that yet. Too fond of rgb.

Im beginning to think the amp has nothing to do with it. Surely an amp would cause magnetic damage and not 'ghosting'

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well the reason why I asked was because I've got a 32FQ75 myself and have had trouble with it – especially the banding. On my TV the banding normally occurs when the TV is receiving an S-Video signal from either the SCART sockets or from the front connectors.

At its worst it would affect all input signals including RGB if there was any S-Video signal being input to the TV, even if it was not being shown at the time.

I had my unit fixed, and the problem went away, but now it seems to be back. I've head that Sony recommend expensive interconnects and SCART connectors to overcome the problem – I don’t see any reason why I should have to unless they would like to pay for them.

I will not be buying a Sony TV in the future and I seriously urge others not to either.

Be warned though that the amp will cause high magnetic flux, but I know people with their amps in the same place as yours with no affect on the TV.

Mark

6. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    astonbilla

I get a discouroration at the botton left hand corner of my Panasonic PK1. I have put this down to the 3802 mounted in the tv's stand. I find that if I move the amp as far back as practical on the shelf the discolouration disappears.

With 7 channels to drive the 3802 must have a beefy power supply. I suspect this is the source of the interferance. I am considering Adele's solution and moving it away from the TV.

Still very happy with the 3802 though.

Regards

Epithet.

7. astonbilla

astonbilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks guys.

I'll try pushing it back in the stand cos i cant afford food now let alone a new stand for the chuffing thing.

Also, is everyone happy with their 3802?, i am very tempted to hand it back and get a 2802 as several people on these forums say there is no real difference between the two except the output wattage.

8. Epithet

Epithet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I say, I am still very pleased with the 3802. I recommend that you download the 2802 manual from Denon's US site to help you decide.

Epithet