1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 it is then....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zippo4, Feb 13, 2002.

Tags:
  1. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ... purely becasue I have got to make a decision one day. I think at the end of the day it's six of one and half a dozen of the other :)

Sooo.. my next question is..... apart from a decent widescreen tv (which I have) and a couple of pairs of good speakers(which I don't have - just a couple of pairs of BAD speakers at the moment :mad: ) what else do I need. I'm guessing that from amp/receiver point of view I need a decent aerial? I would love to subscribe to SKY but I live in the sticks and half a rain forest (well, a small copse of trees!) means I can't get a signal hence I'm mainly going to use my amp for playing DVDs and music. Any advice mucho appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not certain exactly what you are asking. Obviously you need a centre speaker matched to your fronts. A subwoofer is pretty much a must.

Possibly a chainsaw to get rid of the trees?

3. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have thought about the chainsaw option many a time.... not sure that it would go down very well with the more, ahem... elderly of my neighbours though :devil:

To clarify my question....at the moment I have a crappy aerial receiving a terrestrial signal. Obviously I can improve my aerial setup somehow but if I buy a 3802 is it akin to using a large hammer to crack a small nut considering I wouldn't/couldn't use it to watch SKY/Digital broadcasts? I know I'll see the benefit playing DVDs and the like but would installing a 3802 make a difference to the quality of the sound I hear via 'crappy aerial'?

Cheers for any advice/comments

4. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I think I understand.

In a word, Yes.

A lot of analogue teresterial stuff is broadcast in stereo/surround. The 3802 (or indeed any of the new Denon xx02 amps) will really bring these broadcasts to life via DPL II.

hope this helps

I'm really pleased with my 3802. If you can justify the price, then get one.

John

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Be sure to shop around on the net to get a good price.

I found mine for £620 at HiFiJunkies much better than the £850 RRP

6. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys for the advice. These forums are great 'cos you get so much helpful advice but sometimes you end up chasing your tail, swamped with information. You have helped me make up my mind so I'm gonna go for it (I'll worry about the girlfriend later :( )

7. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just ordered the beast, £662 from Audio T in Tunbride Wells. They matched the hifi junkies price, which incidentallyare part of Audio T. Pick it up on Saturday so I'll let everyone know how it goes....and if I still have a girlfriend!!

8. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so, what are you doing for speakers?

9. zippo4

zippo4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    At the moment I have two pairs of speakers. I use the term speakers in the loosest terms as they are pretty shocking. 1 pair came with my telly - a 28" Phillips thing, which currently plugs straight into the tv and act as rear speakers. Another pair come from my sisters old sound system (a technics I think, can't really remember) so they will do for a front pair for a while. Like I said - pretty shocking but they will do until I can afford a decent setup.

I initally thought of the KEF set up (the little silver things, can't remember the model but they retail at about £800) but I am open to suggestions cos I don't think they will suit our living room which is a 200 year old timber floored/beamed cottage. Maybe some missions? Whadda you think?

10. jspone

jspone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for which speakers you should look at long term, I can't really say. There are too many factors to take into account.

However, you really must get a centre speaker. There's no point shelling out 600 dabs on an amp and not having a centre speaker.

Ideally, it should be matched to your front surround speakers, but perhaps you can get a cheap and/or second hand centre to tied you over until you get the speaker package you want.

John

11. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Where abouts in Kent are you?
    If you want some cheap but useable speakers I have an old pair from my HI-FI you can have for the price of a DVD.

Message me if you're interested.