1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 - EX or not EX

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by caylem, Oct 23, 2001.

Tags:
  1. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I right in saying that the Denon 3802 has a Dolby Digital EX matrix option?

If so how is this different to normal Dolby Digital EX?

2. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Dolby Digital EX is a "matrix" format, in that the EX channel is encoded into the soundtrack via a "matrix" method. So there shouldn't be 2 different settings for Dolby Digital EX.

I think you are getting confused with DTS-ES Matrix and DTS-ES Discrete. Which are 2 slightly different methods of encoding and decoding the EX channel. DTS-ES Matrix is essentially the same matrix encoding/decoding method as used in Dolby Digital EX. But DTS-ES Discrete means that the EX channel is encoded and decoded discretely, i.e., there are 6.1 discrete channels of audio on the dvd. There are very few DTS-ES Discrete dvd's available but the method is preferable to a matrix method whereby the EX is "folded" into the L and R surround channels.

P.S. The 3802 has all the aforementioned methods of decoding, i think.

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Also, confusingly, it's called "THX Surround EX" on THX amps and "Dolby Digital Surround EX" on non THX amps.
    Mark