1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 DTS-ES Matrix & Discrete

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DazJWood, Jul 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope someone can help me with this as I just seem to be getting very confused by the manual.

Looking in the Manual it describes a number of settings to turn on the matrixing of the surround back speakers. These settings are

Matrix
    Non-Matrix
    Off

Matrix is described as having the surround back speakers produce sound that is digitally matrixed from the surround speakers

Non-Matrix is described as the same sound comes out of the surround backs as comes out of the surround speakers

Off describes no sound output from the surround back speakers.

I understand all this, but my confusion is that I don't understand what setting I would need to apply if I had a DTS-ES discrete sound source?

None of these settings describe what i understand discrete to mean; the surround back speakers being recorded as an additional channel to 5.1. An independant channel which would therefore produce a 6.1 channel multichannel sound

Also, I am a little confused as to whether I would need to turn on any other settings to enable playback of DTS or DTS-ES sounds. This AFDM flag confuses me. My understanding is that if I leave it to off I can play everyday TV and Music 2 channel sound using the back speakers. If i turn it to on it will only enable the surround backs when a DTS signal is input!? Does this mean if I wanted to play a DTS-ES source I should then switch it to on?

I thought I was quite good with technology. Either its me or the Denon manual isn't stating it very clear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Daz

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i would like to know to ive just got the 2802 delivered to the work and i had a quick look at the manual & now my head hurts:D

from my reading of the manual i think you are best leaving the flag set to off and select matrix to on

when you watch a movie with dts discrete eg gladiator r1 you select dts from the dvd menu and switch the surround back channels on at the amp the amp should now show a dts led on and signal detect light on and surround back led on and it should now work,

if you are watching a movie with a matrix back channel the same method would apply as long as you switch on the back channels on the amp, the amp would matrix the back channels(as longs as matrix is set to on)

now is this correct or am i talking nonsense

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Hi

The Denon manuals are´nt very clear. Its best to leave the AFDM set to OFF, very little software actually has the flag encoded. You can manually turn the Surround Backs on and off from the remote anyway (6.1/7.1 Button) or via the Onscreen displays.

If you are watching a normal Dolby 5.1 film switching on the back surrounds (Matrix ON) will give you a matrixed signal (derived from the left & right surround channels). You can also opt to have NON Matrix which means all the amp does is send the left & right surround info out of the surround back speakers.

DTS films have the same option as well BUT if the film is recorded in DTS ES Discrete you will get this option instead of Matrix processing.

All this is done by pressing the 6.1/7.1 button. If you dont turn on the surround backs you´ll get just 5.1 sound despite selecting the DTS Discrete track on the disc.

Hope this helps

cheers:)

4. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Forgot to mention, you can have the surround backs on with anything, Dolby Digital,DTS, Pro-Logic, 7ch stereo etc.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good thread this, as I have yet to see Discrete on the facia of my 2802 I have tried T2, Gladiator, epsode 2 and I get
    DTS Matrix all the time, even if I set it to non matrix

what movie and what settings do I need to see dts discrete on the facia????????????

/

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Only the Region 1 versions of Gladiator, The Haunting, Chicken Run, Rush Hour 2 are DTS ES Discrete. Se7en is both Region 1 & 2.

All R2 versions are DTS ES Matrix (apart from Se7en).

Highlander Immortal Edition R1 is DTS Discrete as well, but its naff.

There are some other films but most are B Movie type stuff.

7. Me

Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Party Animal:Just to add to the last post. You will see DTS discrt in the display when the amp detects it. The dts light will also illuminate. If the amp does not auto detect, regardless of what setting you have set, just press the auto button on the front of the amp or move the selector knob to dts dirscrt.
    Mark

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, it was starting to bug me.

funny thing about it,
    is that 90% of my DVD.s are region 1
    but the 3 I mentioned earlier are region 2 I guess I will have to get a Discrete one, just to satisfy myself

9. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,737
    Region 2 version of Rush Hour 2 is DTS Discrete as well (Cheers Bob!;) )