Denon 3802 cooling

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BarryK, Dec 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having recently purchased a 3802, I was hoping to house it in my existing hi-fi unit. However upon reading the manual it stated to leave 10cm around the amp for cooling.
    My problem is for it to fit in my existing unit I would have virtually no gap on either side of the amp.(top and back would be ok.)
    As the vents on the side are quite small I was considering cutting a section out of my unit and installing a grill over the cut out section.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this would be sufficient.

Barry

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,035
    Personally, i´d give it as much breathing space as possible.

I´m in the "dont stack your equipment and make sure theres plenty of space around it" camp.

Others, dont seem too fussed.

If you can cut a grill out without too much hassle, go for it.

cheers

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Quicker than you can say... "There goes your warranty!"

4. BarryK

BarryK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. I mean cutting a slot in my hi-fi unit not on the 3802.

Barry

5. Colger

Colger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my 3802 for just over a week and am in a similar situation to Barry.
    It is in a cabinet and I am monitoring the heat whenever it is used and at the moment it does not appear to be excessive. I am considering removing one piece of equipment which means the 3802 will be lower relative to the top of the cabinet and this will give a much large gap at the top. The back of the cabinet is open.
    Another idea is to fit a small fan at the rear of the cabinet to assist removal of air above the 3802.
    Any other ideas out there?

6. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i would say is that if your not running the amp to hard - ie volumes are low to moderate you should be ok.

I have the Denon AVR-3300 which i did have stacked and not that much room round the sides - it used to warm up a bit, but last new years eve had a party and had it blasting out at max volume - after about 3 - 4 hour it just gave up the ghost - thought i was in for a big repair bill as it was 7 days past the year age - took it back to Sevenoaks Sound and Vision to find out Denon have 2 year warranties :) it turned out id blown the power unit (transformer or something) took 6 weeks to get it back repaired - good old SevenOaks sound and vision did lone me an amp for the period though :)

bought a new rack for it now and have loads of space around it :)

Moral of the storey is if you using them with high volumes make sure you have plenty of ventilation.

Spike