1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 & Blown AE Evo 3

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hektic, Jul 12, 2002.

1. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Guys,

I have a Denon 3802 with AE Evo 3 Front speakers. I have used a SPL to set all speakers to 75db ( the amps on 00 vol level )

I have the sub crossover point to 80 & Sub + Main settings on the amps speaker menu.

While playing perl harbour on 00 Vol level the Mid Range driver on one of the Evo's split ( the actual metel part of the driver )

Do you guys think this is too loud for the speakers ? there rated at 150W and the amp is only 105W.

Hopefully the driver was just faulty but Its worrying !

any ideas ?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    Could just have been a faulty driver, it does happen.

Normally if the amp can´t drive the speakers properly the tweeters get fried. Its worth doublechecking to see what rating the speakers are: 150 watts into 8 ohms or 6 ohms etc but I think they´d be ok as the amp can run them quite happily.

Just one of those things I reckon.

3. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bonesy, of this very Forum, has blown countless Rega speakers with his Denon 2802 and they were all rated as accepting way higher than the quoted output (90wpc) of the 2802.

The problem is that when setting your speakers to 75db using a white/pink noise signal, it is a constant, 'average' tone.

When you playback DVDs, all of which will differ slightly in 'loudness', you can hit peaks of anything upwards of 75db... maybe to as much as 115/120db even with the volume still set at your reference of '0'.

The only good news is that drivers are suspiciously cheap to replace, even in expensive speakers.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I don't have a SPL meter, but can anyone actually tell me how loud 75db is in real terms please? Door slamming? 747 taking off? Dog barking? Halfway on my amp's volume control?

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
  6. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nobber22: It's really hard to say... I've measured my voice at 75db when speaking normally but about an inch from the mic on the SPL meter.

Without knowing how far you sit from your speakers and about a million other variables, it's almost impossible to give a definitive 'This is what 75db sounds like'.

Remember, a 747 taking off sounds very loud on the runway at Heathrow but pretty quiet if you're in the terminal.

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +861
    hektic

As juboy says, the 75db is not constant you are getting peaks up to 115db and above. Change the driver, as they are cheap, but if it happens again or repeatedly blows then you´ll either have to watch at a lower volume or consider changing the speakers.

I recently had one of my tweeters go on my Kef THX speakers whilst running them at a meagre -20db, not exactly loud and these speakers are normally capable of running at reference level quite happily. Just would appear to have been a dodgy tweeter.

Hopefully, in your case, its just a faulty driver and won´t happen again.:)

8. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for your advice guys,

I've had the driver replaced and all seems OK so far.

My dealer said that the driver coil would fuse before the
    metal dome would split so it looks as if it was a faulty unit.

Cheers