1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 - bi amping fronts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by fraggle, Mar 8, 2003.

Tags:
  1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Yes it works.

And it sound quite good all in. Better than just using the single front L/R amps :)

And the way it works conveniently provides you with a nice bass control for the main front speakers.

How I did it : bi wire front speakers, connect bass wires from the bi-wires to the Multi room speaker outs on the back of the amp.

Connect phonos from front L&R pre-outs to VCR 2 inputs.

Switch remote to multi (press the Receiver button till the LCD says MULTI)

Select VCR-2 as the multi room source. (press VCR-2)

Wind up the Multi room volume to '0dB'. (just turn up the volume using the remote)

Switch the remote back to amp (press Receiver until AMP is shown on remote) and everything works great as a bi-amped setup.

You can twiddle the multi volume (its actually more of a boost/cut on the main volume rather than a completely independant volume) to tweek the bass levels.

One warning : DO NOT SELECT VCR 2 AS THE ***MAIN*** SOURCE!!!! If you do you'll be creating a direct feedback loop and I don't really want to know what that would do to the pre amps, amp modules and speakers!

Nice! :D :smashin: :hiya:

Disclaimer : You do this at your own risk, if you blow up your amp its your fault!

(you don't NEED to use VCR-2 as the loopthrough, I just did cause its not used)
    (also the multi room volume is set to -70dB initially, i.e. completely off which threw me until I realised that cause I thought it wasn't working at all!)

2. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah so that's where I went wrong, not turning up multi volume :). Cheers for the info. However I am slightly reluctant because often the kids need to select vcr2 as the input for use with the PS2:rolleyes: and I am worried that if they accidentally select vdp even for a second then damage could result :( Also do you think that now I have a centre speaker (not Bi-amp-able) that does most of the work, bi-amping the fronts would not really be that helpful?
    cheers
    john

3. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hmm, well thinking about it for a bit (with my limited knowledge!) I suspect the feedback loop would just make the pre amps act as a signal generator, giving out whatever frequency.

If I remember right the volume always comes after the pre amp so so long as the volumes not turned right up all that'll happen is you'll get a squeal.

The centre speakers used for voice and centre effects, the main fronts for non central voices, and of course for 2 channel stereo.

I think its worth doing, its not as if the two spare amps are doing anything worthwhile otherwise is it? :) (unless you're using them as multi room or rear surrounds of course!)

4. john-boro

john-boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW, it's a good idea to plug the pre-outs into whatever input is assigned a digital socket, such as DVD. Then the multi amp will use the analog input to that socket, and you'll have less chance of getting a feedback loop.

5. sichanny

sichanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I curently run a single centre back speaker. Can I still bi-amp the
    front speakers?

With the multi room speaker outs on the back of the amp, do i connect both the positive and negative terminals with the speaker wires?

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +452
    Sorry sichanny ... to bi amp with the 3802 you need 2 spare channels - i.e. no centre back speakers at all.

7. sichanny

sichanny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Never mind, thanks for the reply.