1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 Audio Signal Recognition

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by burkey, Jul 21, 2002.

Tags:
  1. burkey

burkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having watched a DVD last night "Liberty Stands Still" via a Sony DVP-NS900V DVD player conected by optical connection to my Denon 3802 I noticed the following;

The signal indicator light was showing the DVD to be playing in DD. However the display was showing PL11. I am unsure what actual decoding was taking place. I was not over impressed by the sound,or the film but thats another story.

I have noticed this happen once before whilst watching a movie via my Pace Sky+ box on the movie channel also conected via optical option. The exact same conflict in types of signal were showing on the amp.

There did not appear to be any audio settings on the above DVD to alter its audio output. Has anyone noticed this on their equipment and know what the cause is ?.

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It seems the sound was carried in Dolby Digital 2.0 and flagged as Dolby Surround encoded, which switched on the Dolby Pro Logic II decoder.

Remember that Dolby Surround and Dolby Digital live in different parts of the reproduction chain. Being not just a surround encoding format but a full storage and transmission format, Dolby Digital can carry also regular 2-channel stereo, including such encoded with Dolby Surround. Then both decoders will cooperate; first the 2.0 channel Dolby Digital stream is decompressed and then the decoded channels are extracted to 5.1 using the Pro Logic II decoder.

Check if the DVD was supposed to be encoded in 5.1, it might not have been.

3. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,733
    Hi

As long as the amp is set to "AUTO" it will detect whatever signal is thrown at it. Sounds like Zacabeb has said, the disc was only a 2.0 Dolby track hence it plays back in Dolby PL2.

4. burkey

burkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both for your reply . I am unable to check the DVD for the sound format as it was a rental movie . The next time I go to the shops I will check it out .

Just whwn you think that you are getting to grips with things you learn something new. Thats what makes home cinema a hobby as well as an amazing listening experience.

thanks Russell

5. muscat

muscat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I played Men in Black on my Denon 3802 and noticed that Dolby Pro Logic II was selected. I checked the DVD and found that the default appears to be Dolby Surround 2.0, hence the Pro Logic sound. I had to select Dolby Digital on the setup features on the DVD to get proper DD sound through the amp.

I guess the Denon will take whatever the default feed from the DVD is.