Denon 3802 and power connection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yatesd, Jul 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Can someone who has the 3802 tell me whether it has a fixed power cable or not. I only ask as awaiting delivery of mine and want to know whether I can replace the existing delivered power cable with a better quality one, ie. Kimber.

Thanks,

Dave.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,315
    Hi

The power cord is fixed so you´ll have to cut if off and use an adaptor if you want to use a Russ Andrews cable.

3. triumphtiger

triumphtiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the difference between using the supplied one and another like "Russ Andrew..."?

4. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The changing of the power cables is one of those topics that people generally argue about whether it is necessary.

However I have never found anyone that has actually tried it that denies it improves the clarity and soundstage of the music.

You are best to check out the Russ Andrews (or Kimber) site as they have a full description. But basically a standard power cable introduces RFI into the system which will basically introduce noise into the presentation.

I was doubtful myself but each power cord I have changed has provided a noticeable improvement.

I recently changed my DVD player to the Arcm DV27 and out of curiosity asked Arcam whether they thought it worth while changing the power cords and they said that it makes a significant improvement which for me is good enough a recomendation on its own.

Anyway, Russ Andrews offers 14 day money back guarantee so try I would recommend trying it for yourself and taking it from there.

Cheers,

Dave.

5. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently toying with the idea of adding a Russ Andrews power cable to my Denon 2802.

I use them on all my kit where the mains lead isn't captive but have yet to take the plunge and cut-off a captive lead as it doesn't seem 'right' somehow.

I just wish Denon had made their new range with non-captive leads.

For anyone a little unhappy with their Sky picture, I moved a spare YellO power cable on to my Digibox and noticed less smearing and picture noise generally, especially around onscreen graphics like on the Sky Radio channels.

6. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know what you mean, I feel slightly wary about cutting off a power lead on a new piece of kit as well - hell any piece of kit.

Would have thought with more people accepting that there is imrovements to be made that companies like Denon and Yamaha would use external power cables!!

If you do bit the bullet and do it I would be interested to know how and how it goes.

Good luck,

Dave.

7. CaveMonkey

CaveMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all!

Does anyone know wheter or not the Onkyo receivers (I own a 696) use 'captive' power cords? Has anyone replaced the fixed power cord with an external/detachable?

Thanks,
    Marco