1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3802 and existing HiFi

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by yatesd, Jul 10, 2002.

Tags:
  1. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Hopefully a quick and simple question for you all.

Is it possible to configure the Denon 3802 into an existing HiFi setup. I was hoping to still use my main HiFi speakers as my fronts, but wasn't sure how I could connect up both the Denon and my existing Amps to the same speakers.

Or am I best to do as before with other processors and feed the Denon front outputs into my existing HiFi.

At the minute am only thinking about getting the 3802, hence this is obviously an importnat question.

Thanks for any thoughts/advice,

Dave.

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Hi Dave - give us a list of your other kit and perhaps we can suggest alternative options. Cheers

3. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks,

Presently have :

Audiolab 8000S - Integrated Amp
    Audiolab 8000P - Power Amp
    Arcam FMJ Dv27 -DVD
    Yamaha E800 - Surround Processor

B&W Speakers throughout (x5)

would like to be able to go to DTS ES and DD ES eventually

Thanks,

Dave.

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi

I would have thought the easiest way would be just to connect the pre-outs of the Denon to your current amps, effectively replacing the Yamaha surround processor. When you have the extra speakers for EX/ES you can use the Denons internal amps for those channels.

5. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was what I swas hoping someone would tell me, wasn't entirely sure if it was possible with the Denon.

Thanks,

Dave.

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    The Denon has pre-outs for all its channels (7) + the sub as well, so you could go power amp mad if you wanted to.:D

7. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    I don't know about all this pre/power business, but I have a Denon 2802 and the pre-outs on that (and I presume the 3802 as well) are affected by the volume switch aren't they? I have my sub connected to the LFE pre-out and when I change the main volume that affects the strength of the signal to the sub.

Now if the L and R pre-outs were taken to a pre-amp does that not mean that there would be two volume controls before the power amp and wouldn't that make balancing the L and R with the other speakers v. difficult?

Shouldn't the pre-out from the Denon got directly to the power amp?

As I said at the beginning, I don't know anout all this so feel free to tell me I have got it all wrong. I am just intrigued.

Andy

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Andy does have a point, volume level balancing would be a bit trickier. If it was a 5 channel power amp it would be better to connect straight to the Denon.

If its a 2 channel integrated amp running with a 2 channel power amp (for front left & right) just connect the pre-outs of the Denon to the integrated and then the rest of the speakers are connected directly to the Denon using its internal amps for centre and surround channels.
    I assume thats how its currently connected to the Yamaha, using its amplification for centre and surrounds.

9. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, at the minute with the Yamaha I run the fronts via the pre and power combo fed by the processor. The volume balancing is handled by running the test tones and matching the balance using the volume control on the integrated amp (always exactly 12.00).

This obviously can be painful when you switch from DVD to CD and forget to change the volume!!

Looks like if I go the Denon route would work teh same way.

Does the Denon have a test tone series???

10. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes. For all channels including the sub. Also got a nifty onscreen setup menu which makes it all easy.:)

11. yatesd

yatesd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good - I would have thought matching volume levels for the sub would be tricky though!!

Getting the sub right on mine at the minute is the trickiest as no real crossover controls available, has always been a bit trial and error.

I think the 3802 sounds like a sensible option for me, as probs can still get a reasonable price for the Yamaha now.

Thanks,

Dave.