Denon 3802 Amp and Small Speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Electric Mayhem, Oct 12, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,322
    Hi

The 3802 gives you the option of selecting small or large speakers or combinations of both i.e large fronts, small centre etc etc

So you´ll have no problem if you want to use the Kefs with it.

cheers

2. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great. That was just the information I was hoping to hear.

Much appreciated :).

3. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello :).

Firstly, just a small note to say thank you to all of you who regularly post on these forums. I've recently come into some money (by hook or by crook) and have decided to *ahem* "invest" in a home cinema set up.

As a home cinema noobie, your comments on these forums have been invaluable. I've since gone from a buying a Sony DAV-800 all in one to a seperates unit that I can be quite proud of. So thanks again.

Typically though, I have a question to ask...

I have been sold on the Denon 3802 amp for its sound quality and Pro Logic II. However, I have read that the amp doesn't support auto-format decoding (AFD) which is of a big benefit for small speakers (apparently).

Small speakers are a must because my front room is fairly small and my wife is concious that she doesn't want the room over run with large boxes everywhere. The Kev Eggs look like a nice proposition, but will they match well with the Denon amp? The sub on the Kev's is active if this makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :).

4. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont see what AFD has to do with speaker size?
    I mearly means it automaticaly selects the correcting decoding for the incoming signal.
    Either someone is telling you porkies or they know something i dont.
    The only thing that would constitute a problem with small speakers would be NO bass management.

But i think i stick my neck out here and state all recent av amps have this.
    The dennon certainly does.

Mark :rolleyes:

5. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd hazard a guess it is probably the former.

Ta ;)

6. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Good luck with your setup and welcome to the club.
    Mark

7. dochall

dochall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 3802 and Kef Eggs arriving today. They sound good but I am newbie as well so what do I know. Not as good as the 20k setup that the I demoed while waiting for them to be setup but there you go.

The fly in the ointment is that my darling wife has decided that she's not sure if she fancies having them wall mounted. They are being installed today so she can have a look and it may be back to the drawing board and looking at bigger boxes as if they are stand mounted I don't see the advantage.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just purchased a Denon 3802 and M&K K series from Sevenoaks in Manchester,What a Dem Room.The performance of this system with my Arcam Dv88 is out of this world.I had to have small speakers because of the wife but what a investment.I would recomend any body to audition this set up.If your in Manchester go and have a listen at Sevenoaks their so professional in thier dems and thier service.(M&K K speakers are spot on) :) null

9. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Big Screen,

Interested to know what other packages you compared to the K series, and if you found the K series better for movies and music. :eek:

Did you go for the tripoles for the rear?

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Gazzerr
    I tried DEF TECH 80,KEF EGGS,M&K 55 and Bose,The Bose were *r$p,Def Tech were Ok,Kef ripped my ears off.But th M&K 55 were good but to big for my wife.We tried every system in the dem and the K series shone for both stereo and cinema.We spent about an 1 half
    hours trying every combo to come up with this result and many cups of coffee.I have never known a dealer to be so patient and very help full like he was with me.I would recomend any body to shop at Sevenoaks(Manchester-Phil)because he listens to what
    you want.

11. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hello all!
    If you have small speakers & a reasonable sub, is it advisable to set the crossover frequency to 120 Hz rather than 100 or 80 & let the sub take all the low end strain?
    Cheers, Paul.

12. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,575
    You should always get speakers which are capable of 'taking the strain' down to 80Hz.
    The crossover is set in the amp and (someone correct me if I'm wrong) is set to 80Hz for THX and in some (most) amps is not changeable anyway.
    The higher you set the crossover the more likely you are to be able to hear the bass coming from the sub.