1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 (Yes another post)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stevep, Mar 26, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Stevep

Stevep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a Pioneer DV717 and a Sony 32in Widescreen.
    I desperately want a home cinema setup cause I've just bought seperates and the sound is amazing compared to my 6 year old Kenwood Midi Hi-fi.
    I need some advice!!!
    Now the Denon 3801 is the one I have to go for. PROBLEM!! It's much cheaper on the web than Sevenoaks. What do I do???
    I'm confused because I bought a Sony TAFDB9400 Amp on a Friday night and it didn't work, I had to take it back the next day. Then a week later it died. Don't know why!!! If I have problems like this buying from the internet what can I do?? [​IMG]
    Also to bore you a bit more!!! What speaker setup do I go for?? I have £1500 to spend on an amp and speakers etc.
    Someone please help??

2. slateram

slateram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's disappointing news about Sevenoaks. I'm currently in the middle east but returning to UK next week. I was hoping I could get a whole system from them - including Denon 3801.
    Personally I don't think there should be much problem with ordering over internet so long as you stick with the more well known companies, but like you I'd be interested to hear the experience of those who have already done this.

3. Stevep

Stevep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    slateram,

The 3801 is £800.00 in Sevenoaks and I've found it on the web for £650.00. And that was just looking through kelcoo very quickly.
    But I'd still like to know what to do??

4. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get the 3801 from www.unbeatable.co.uk for just under £600 and delivery is only about £10-£15. [​IMG]

I've never used them so i can't vouch for there service, but from the style of the site they don't look like a tin pot outfit. I have seen many links to there site on this forum, so someone should have an opinion of them.

5. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can get the 3801 from www.unbeatable.co.uk for just under £600 and delivery is only about £10-£15. [​IMG]

I've never used them so i can't vouch for there service, but from the style of the site they don't look like a tin pot outfit. I have seen many links to there site on this forum, so someone should have an opinion of them.

6. Timoth

Timoth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

7. Stevep

Stevep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Timoth for the 3 [​IMG] replies.
    I have a actually used unbeatable and they are good, but I was still worried about equipment that goes wrong.

8. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Steve,
    I bought the AVC-A1SE (the 3801's big brother) from sdb-electronics, London by mail order. I had a problem with the first delivery, the box was damaged and the centre and right front channels were dead. I believe that Royal Mail had dropped the unit (it weighs 28Kg!) and the internal connector had come loose. I phoned sdb and told them, they sent out a driver, on a Saturday about 60 or 70 miles to replace it! No charge to me. I believe that they have the 3801 for about £600 and I can whole heartedly recommend them.
    Mark
    P.S. Happy 7.1 listening!

9. Stevep

Stevep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice One Mark, Thanks I will have a look now.

10. AntonB

AntonB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    When buying my 3801 I was told (rightly or wrongly) that the internet companies that sell at a reduced price, sell European grey imports and Denon will not support them in this country. To get around this, I bought from my nearest John Lewis store who happily matched the price at SDB. I now have a lovely UK 3801 with 2 year guarantee for £600.

Anton

11. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Nice one Anton. If you can it is far better to go for the supported stockists because of the guarantee. A one year guarantee must be supplied anyway by who ever the unit was purchased from.
    Mark

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did similar. I was in the hunt for a TV. Searched the Web, Unbeatable and Empiredirect. I printed out their best price took them to John Lewis. They matched it and gave me a 5 year warrenty, free delivery and installed it. Don't buy it on the web but use it!!