1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

denon 3801 v yam ax2

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by j.fitz, Apr 25, 2001.

Tags:
  1. j.fitz

j.fitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    am thinking of upgrading yamaha a2.however do i really need neo6?etc on the 3801 or the extra dsp modes on the ax2.are the above companys running out of ideas.do we need that type of extra to watch old movies when i presume most of us watch dvds as the main source?.if the vast majority of movies are in dd/dts with only a hand full in ex/es why change?,is the sound quality on the flagship denon a1/yamaha ax1 really that much better regards j fitz.

2. robocop

robocop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Have you read this month's issue of HCC yet?
    It has a test on the 3801 v AX2.

3. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    In the 6 years or so I have been into HC I have purchased a few ( and demoed many many more amps ) and at the end of the day have found the best Amps to be Denon or Yamaha !

Now in a stand off it depends on your preferences. Demo both and decide then.

Yamahas always tend to have a more muscular and in your face sound, whilst Denon are gentler and more defined.

To give you some example, years ago I demoed both companies then budget pro-logic models whilst listening / watching a PAL copy of T2 on LD.

One of the most impressive moments with the Denon were when the cups blew around the sounstage along with the shell from the shot gun falling and the balls being hit on the pool table. On the Yamaha the better moments were when the bike started up or the truck crashed into the bridge.

At the time I went for the Yamaha, but ever since I have prefered the ( to my ears ) better quality sound provided by the Denon.

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Many are saying that the latest Denon amps (AVC-A1SE in particular) have a different sound to the older amps. They seem more defined and powerful than the older, slightly "ad-hoc" sound that they used to have (these words from this months What Hi-Fi). I can't really comment on pre AVC-A1SE models because it is the only Denon I have ever owned. Take advice from DuncanWardle and demo your shortlist.

On the subject of the newer surround formats, dts NEO:6 and Dolby Pro-Logic II have their place for those who watch broadcast media and want some type of surround sound, with better dynamics and stereo rear channels. Some say that Dolby Pro-Logic II is closer to Dolby Digital, when using a stereo source, than it is to the older Pro-Logic.

Dolby EX and dts ES adds to the sound because no longer is the sound coming from the rear – it really does seem to come from 360°. This is because the rear surrounds become the side speakers and the back is taken by the surround back channels. This gives a much better transition from front to rear.

Mark

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im pondering the denon, but not sure if i would feel the benefit from 7 speakers because of positioning... i plan on buying mission m74 for front, m7ds for rear (can i use these as sides? or better using m71?) and the m7c for the centre front and rear, though ive heard that this isnt the best centre.

any suggestions guys? or should i just go budget with the denon 2801 or sony db940 ?

Mike