Denon 3801 v Arcam Avr 100 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stupot43, Feb 2, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Can anyone out there help? Can`t decide which one to go for. I like playing my music but I also enjoy a good action movie. My dilemma is: Does the Denon do the job for music as well as movies? I`ve no doubt its ability for movies, OR should I go for the Arcam which I know will be good for the Music but has it got the guts for movies? The rest of the kit is Arcam 10p 3 channel power amp (used to bi-amp the front end) Ruark Prologue One R / Dialogue One R (front l/r/c)with Polk M3 ll rears and Rel Strata lll sub. Pioneer 717 dvd (multi reg.) and Arcam 8se cd player. Plus Denon DD, Dts & tuner boxes. The new amp will be replacing an Arcam AV 50 pro logic amp.

[This message has been edited by Stupot43 (edited 02-02-2001).]

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by "Denon DD, Dts & tuner boxes". Do you already have DD and DTS decoding? If so, why do you need another amp?

Anyway, Arcam and Denon. I would assume that the Alpha 10p will drive the front 3 channels and the Arcam/Denon will drive all others? If this is the case, I would go for the Denon. The Alpha 10p needs top notch processing to get the best out of them, and the denon is better than the Arcam in this respect (in any respect, really). The Denon also has many more features than the Arcam, like DTS Discrete, something you might kick yourself for, should you go the Arcam route.

Russell

3. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I can see where you are going here - you want to be able to get rid of the AV50 and the two Denon decoders and replace them all with one neat box. Trouble is, I'm not convinced that you will improve things much (certainly not musically) by taking this route. It would be more of a sideways step.

I would have thought the first thing to do would be to get another 10P (2 channel) as this would then give you 5 identical channels of amplification. You could then try dispensing with the AV50 and just using the Denon decoder/processor to control everything, assuming it has enough inputs.

If this doesn't appeal then (again assuming you get another 10P) you could replace the AV50 and the two Denon decoders with an AV processor from the likes of Yamaha, Rotel, Cyrus or (best of all within reason) TAG McLaren.

Or, instead of getting a 10P, you could get an Alpha 10 intergrated amp with the DAVE module. This might be the best solution for you - it would be great for music and movies and it would certainly be the neatest!

------------------
    This is a local shop for local people - there's nothing for you here!

4. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    You are correct in assuming that I would like to replace the Denon boxes with just one neat box that does all the processing. Unfortunately the Denon DD box hasn`t enough inputs to do the job if I get rid of the AV50 and get a 2ch 10p.
    I do like your idea of getting another 10p to do the other 2 channels of amplification and the getting a processor to do the DD,dts,dpl & stereo. Wouldn`t we all like a TAG, but I think the "trouble & strife" might have something to say if she knew I was going to spend over £2500 on a single piece of kit. So I am looking at something like the Cyrus AV5 with the 10p.
    I agree with you in that the Arcam 10 with the DAVE module would be the neatest and solve my problem. So thanks for the ideas.
    Anyone know where I can get a seconhand Tag AV32R?

Stupot43

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I had 2 Arcam AVR100s, both developed a bad hum from the centre channel. I now have a Denon AVC-A1SE on loan which I'm happy to confirm is excellent at both movies and music. It is a lot of money, but you do get what you pay for in this game. The 3801 has a lot of features but its not a AVC-A1SE with less power, all the components are of a much lower spec.

6. ajeanes

ajeanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a 3801 plus a load of speakers. I am sad that I still have not cleared the movie room of the junk yet to install the system. For movies I am sure it will be great. I also have pioneer DVD 717 and playing music is good, but not as good as through my audiolab pre and power amps. But thats logical as they were much more expensive. I have not tested using power amps from the outputs, but the manual says this is a possibility.

I know nothing about the Arcam.

I think the 3801 is excellent valus for money, and I probably do not need power amps for the movies. If you want great music, then you need good amps, but in only 2 channels so add these as extras.

Good luck.

Alex.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's a very easy decision to make based on one question:

Are you a true cinemaphile, or are bothered about 'good' stereo?

If you are a cinemaphile get the Denon, it has decent stereo playback aswell.

If you are a stereohead then get the Arcam, cos it is a v. basic DD, DTS receiver.

I would choose the Denon personally, more stuff to play with, also cheaper to buy.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

8. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I suppose, because I have been listening to music for nearly 20 years,I tend to lean towards the HiFi side of things. But I must admit that since I have been interested in home cinema now for nearly 4 years the bug has bitten and I am getting more & more onto that. I am sure that there is a happy medium for both, but it looks like I am going to have to pay bucks for it.
    I was intending to listen to the Cyrus AV5 with some Arcam 10p 2&3 channel power amps but after some investigation I am now leaning towards trying to get a second hand TAG McLaren AV32r 5.1 and then getting another 10p in 2 channel mode to go with my 10p 3ch. I know the TAG is upgradeable if I want to go that way and it is good with music according to all the reports that I have read. However, the cost may ultimately be against that route and I may have to go for the Arcam 10 with DAVE module which I know will be great for music,and by all reports, pretty darn good for movies,but without the upgrade path - unless Arcam come up with another module,which I suppose is not beyond capability? Unless someone out there knows better. Anyway still looking for any suggestions or comments.

stupot43

9. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Stupot43, just a thought: given that second-hand TAG AV32R's are a rarity, have you considered trying to get hold of an ex-demo one? I picked one up from Audio Excellence a few weeks back for £1850 - okay that's still a fair bit of cash but it's £450 below the list price and you'd never know that it's an ex-dem unit - it's immaculate.

If this is all making sense to you then you might be interested to know that Audio Excellence currently have an ex-dem AV32R advertised on their website for £1850. It's at their Swansea shop but I know from experience that they will send it through to your nearest branch.

If you fancy it, you'd better move quickly now that the cat's out of the bag.

10. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks for that MattF but I had already tried the Swansea branch and it had gone. They had a look if any of the other branches had one - but they hadn`t. However,all is not lost as I am waiting a reply from someone on the net to see if they still have the one they advertised before xmas. Believe it or believe it not it was an UNWANTED present. I wished my missus bought me pressies like that!!!

11. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stupot!

What made you change your mind about the Cyrus AV5, I also wanted the Tag until I realised how expensive it was, I just don't think I could justify spending that much, my boyfriend would go mad. yes that's right I'm a woman and I have a partner that's not in the slightest bit interested in HC but he lets me buy what I want, except that now we're saving up for a mortgage he might put his foot down and he's not stupid he knows how much the Tag processors are!!

12. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Tracey,
    The reason I changed from the AV5 to the TAG was principally because I was told - by someone who works with AV/HiFi - that they had had units returned to them with problems ie drop out, volume changing on channels etc and that he wouldn`t sell me one knowing this. I presume from you bulletin that you use an AV5. Have you experinced any problems? I must admit that I had almost made my mind up on the AV5 until I was told this.

Stupot

I`ll think I will post a new topic and ask if anyone has experienced problems with the AV5 unit.

[This message has been edited by Stupot43 (edited 12-02-2001).]

13. Stupot43

Stupot43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi Folks,

At long last I`ve decided what I am doing. I`ve managed to get an ex-dem Alpha 10 amp to which I am going to have a DAVE module fitted to make it into a Home Cinema amp. Together with my 3ch Alpha 10p it will bi-amp the front l/r and the 3rd ch on the 10p will be used for bi-wiring the centre. I`ve also managed to by a 2nd hand Alpha 9p which I will use for the rear channels. Because the gain on all the amps are the same they will be OK. My next step is to get some decent rear speakers - at the moment I am using Polk M3 2`s. I like the look of the the new B&W CDM surround at £700 but I`m not sure whether to go for di/bi-pole speakers?

Stupot43