1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 instead of Yammy DSP-A2 ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JK, Feb 9, 2001.

Tags:
  1. JK

JK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking og upgrading my DSP-A2 to the Denon 3801 - any thoughts on this would be appreciated or suggestions on other alternatives.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    OK as long as you are just looking for more up to date technology and not an upgrade in terms of sound quality.

3. JK

JK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply:

What amp/receiver will improve on sound quality then ? I also think that the amplification on the Yamaha is restricted whilst the actually processing is pretty good.

4. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    funny, your comment about the A2's power. About a year ago I was researching the A2 vs the denon 3300 (quite similar to the 3801) and some interesting lab tests were done. I read about these in the audioreview.com site and they found the yamaha to be a lot more powerful and able to drive more demanding speakers. Curiously, the strength of the 3300 was claimed to be in its pre-amp section and processing! I agree that a realistic upgrade would have to be better than the 3801 unless you're doing it just for the 7.1 - rather expensive upgrade for just that!

5. JK

JK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts dood - do you agree with the AVC-Alse as being the best amp to go for ? I've always thought (since owning the then fantastic AVC-3020) that Denon provided the best quality amps on the market. I have yet to buy additional surrounds to make proper use of 7.1 in any case.

Also, have any of you guys bought/used the Philips Pronto ?

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Well for the next step up in quality you should probably look at something like the Denon AVC-A1se, or for less money the THX ultra pioneer VSX909.

7. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    can't comment on the top of the range denon stuff as it is a bit out of my league so I haven't listened to them. I have the 3300 which is great. Since your main gripe with the A2 seems to be power, why don't you consider going for a good 5 channel power amp like the TAG or Bryston stuff, and stick with the A2 for now. Then later as the technology advances and/or prices come down, you can add an awesome processor and finally dispose of your A2. This allows you to make 2 upgrades over a longer period and ultimately you'll have a much better system with more flexibility and upgradability!

8. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi JK,its nice to see im not the only guy who cant make his mind up.Ihave a Denon 3020 too(currently)and agree it is still a very high quality amp that is why its taken me so long to part with it,however i now have a new sony KP41DS1U rear projector and need a digital amp to update my system-first of all i have heard the Denon 3801 and it is a great amp,but let me just say that my father has a yammy A2 and you really do not need to upgrade yet.The denon is a better for music without question but the A2 is equal to the 3801 for movies unless you really think you need 7.1. I would hang on for a while because you have a good amp anyway and you can be sure that within 6-12 months the price of the 3801 will drop quite a bit

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JK,

I'd go with dood's advice and upgrade the power amp section of your A2 rather than buying another integrated amp.

The new denon is very expensive for an integrated amp and if your happy with the A2's processing capabilities (I am) and you don't require any more channels (and more speakers) you shoud see a marked improvement in sound quality by going down the separates route.

A TAG100x5 obviously has its charms, but get hold of HCCs review of Rotel's latest (?) 5 channel power amp. It was highly rated, and in excellent company too.

Joel

10. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I'm not convinced that the type of upgrade you're looking at is worth it!
    I believe that the Yamaha is an excellent AV amp, in both proc. and it's power amp section.
    To make the upgrade really worthwhile, I believe you need to spend a considerable amount of money to see some genuine benefits.
    I'm talking about separate pre/power amps.
    As suggested above, you need to go way up to Bryston/Tag territory at least, to get the gains you want.
    The Denon is just a similair model with a few more toys than the A2. Not worth changing to.
    What about going for a superior speaker package for now. Spend the money on more films. Buy comfy chairs. Whatever, the Yamaha is far better than some have said and it'll keep you happy at least until a few 'latest things' have come and gone!

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

11. JK

JK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'll keep the A2 for a while longer and maybe get a separate power amp - can soemone tell me how to connect up a separate power amp to the A2 ?

Also I'm looking to acquire another widescreen tv (I currently own the excellent Philips 36" pw 9525) for a second lounge and like the look of the Sony 32FX65. Does anyone have any views on this television ???

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No No No No Noooo, I've demoed and AVR 3801 and can say compared to my A2 it rocks and not just on the new stuff like DTS ES and EX. Even in DD5.1 and DTS5.1 its still better, its hard to describe 'how' its better it just sound larger creating more space than the A2, but then again the A2 is getting on now, in AV terms anyway. Ditch the A2 and get the Denon, I know I would if i'd got the cash.

13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Where did you demo it?

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon was demoed at Sevenoaks in Sheffield, with some B&W speakers and a Pioneer 737. It could be that the DVD player and speakers were responsible for the 'upgrade' in sound I heard as opposed to my equipment, but it still sounded Scooby Doo! [​IMG]

15. JK

JK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll keep the A2 a while longer - there does not seem to be an upgrade in sound quality that won't cost the earth. Would a TAG power amp/processor really sound much better ? is the TAG amp 100x5 ?

16. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scooby, do the Sheffield branch of Sevenoaks have the 3801 in the upstaires demo room still?

I was thinking of going through this Saturday with a frined and it would be interesting to compare the Denon to the AX-1 they had in there a while ago.
    Are they still using the 600 series B&W's and Rel Strata III, as the friend is hoping to have a listen to the new B&W CM range?

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason

[This message has been edited by MacReady (edited 26-02-2001).]

17. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've got the Denon AVC-A1SE after auditioning everything on the market (practically) – I only wanted an integrated amplifier and the Denon has just so much power and presence particularly in the bass area. If you can stretch to this unit you will not be disappointed. It does absolutely everything and sounds brilliant. Also the remote controls anything and is programmable by linking it to a P.C.
    Mark B

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey MacReady, you live in Sheffield - cool [​IMG] anyway as for the setup they had the AX1 in, but they were happy to get the AVR3801 up and running. The speakers were the B&W 7NT at the front with matching center(can't remember the model) and 4 surround speakers for the EX and ES mixes on some DVD's, finally they had a B&W ASW2000 banging on the floor. Might catch you around sometime just look for a food munchin' dog and I don't mean the missus [​IMG]

19. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I actually live in Barnsley Scooby, but I am in Sheffield quite a bit as I have a couple of friends over there and tend to go to Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks and the like quite often.

Wil probably be in this Saturday.....allthough the friend I was going with is a bit ill today so I will have to wait and see (and I dont think my Wife will want to go again....she is sick of the place as it is...lol)

------------------
    "Why don't we wait here a while...see what happens..."
    The member formaly known as Jason