1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 Enquiry

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pavlos, May 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. pavlos

pavlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am expecting my Denon 3801 by the end of the week, in the meantime I have downloaded the manual from the website so I will have an idea of what is going when I receive it, I have decided to go for one speaker as a surround back(center) cos the distance btw my 2 surround speakers is aprox 3 meters so in my opinion I dont need 2 surround back speakers, curretly I have 2 bipolar speakers at the sides I am planning to have a direct radiating speaker in the middle of my back wall above my seating position.(as a surround back center)

Reading in the manual it states that for 5.1 formats there is an option to use the surround back(centers) as well by outputing the same signal that the right and left surrounds play, is my understanding that means that the same output from the R surround will go to the R surround back(center) and the same output from the L surround will go the the L surround back (center), so if you have just one surround back(center) what happens??
    and secondly is it possible to use the DTS 5.1ES matrix to decode the dolby digital 5.1 ex format .

Thanks in advance guys

pavlos

2. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    No idea what happens with a single surround speaker, although I am interested as this receiver is my next intended purchase.

As to the dolby digital EX, it is my understanding that it is decoded correctly although not with the DTS decoder as it is incompatible. They can't call it DD EX because it has to be THX certified to carry the EX label. But what's in a name anyway, so long as it works?

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    from memory the manual mentions about using the left rear if only using one speaker.

Mike

PS take a look at nxt wharfdale loudpanels if space is a problem as they send very good - 140 with sub at hifibitz

4. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm not sure you are able to select the "Non - Flag Source Output" when only using 6 speakers. You might find that this option is unavailable unless you have 7 speakers connected.
    Mark