1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 DTS query ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PaulBoy, Mar 4, 2003.

Tags:
  1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    When I first got my now "ancient" 3801 a direct comparison from DD5.1 to DTS usually resulted in the DTS track sounding a couple of notches louder (this appeared the norm from what I read)
    A similar comparison now results in the reverse i.e. the DD5.1 now sounds louder ?
    I have moved my gear around recently & wonder if I have changed some setting or other ?
    Any ideas ?
    I am using the 3801 with a Pioneer 646 DVD-A player (only use its decoders for DVD-A) The 646 & 3801 are connected with a digital coaxial cable
    Any pointers appreciated ... Paul ;)

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you haven't already recalibrated your system after moving it then this may be the reason you are getting different results.

Another reason could be the way the soundtracks are being mixed on the discs.

It has never been written in stone that DTS is superior than DD5.1, I have found some DD5.1 soundtracks far better than DTS.

IMO I think what you are hearing is what I believe to be - Very little difference in the two the way the soundtracks are mixed today. ;)

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    bob007 - i dont think my post even implied that dts was "superior" to dd5.1 - if it did then that was not the intention - i was just concerned that what i had previously heard (dts being a bit louder than dd5.1) had now suddenly reversed
    i have seen many discussions on the merits of one format against the other and personally prefer dts especially on music dvds
    i'd still be interested to hear any views on why my dd5.1 now sounds louder than my dts ... paul