1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 Digital inputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve4852, May 10, 2001.

Tags:
  1. steve4852

steve4852

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Denon 3801 which i am most impressed with.
    At the moment i have a CD player (Arcam MCD) connected via QED interconnects , i have noticed that on the back of the CD player i have a coaxial digital out , and also on the back of the amp i have a cd coaxial in.
    My question is , if i connected the CD via the digital coaxial cable , would the quality of the signal be any better than just using my normal interconnects?

Also on a side note , is it possible to use my TV aerial as a FM aerial (i.e use the same coax cable from my TV aerial , split it into 2 , 1 for TV , 1 for FM in) ? :confused:

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    It may or not be better but what it will do is use the internal DAC of the amp not the arcams. Whether it will be better someone with more knowlegde of the DAC's will be able to answer better than me.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: John S. ]

3. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Steve,
    Try it both ways. Use (borrow) a fibre optical link cable to connect the Denon – in this arrangement you are using the Denon's DACs; when connected using the line phono connectors you are using the Arcam's DAC's. Use the connection that you prefer. I know someone that has a Denon AVC-A1SE and an Arcam CD. The Denon's DACs are absolutely superb - especially as they are set to dual-differential mode (4 DACs per channel) in digital stereo sources, but he still prefers the Arcam DACs and uses high grade phono connectors.
    It's all a matter of personal taste and there is nothing wrong with either arrangement.
    Mark

4. William Shin

William Shin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

It depends on how good your CD player is. A good CD player uses better DACs.
    I have got Arcam CD72 driven by Denon AVR3300. Arcam use 24-bit Burr Brown Delta-Sigma DAC, which I think is more enjoyable than using my Denon's internal DACs. If you've got a real budget CD player there is no point to use DAC on your CD player, just use your Denon's DACs by connecting digital coaxial interconnects.

You are using QED interconnects and it is quite a good cable. A benifit of using phono interconnects is you can enjoy various sounds e.g. soft, clear, fast, heavy, etc by choosing interconnects suit your taste.

As other people said end of day it's all up to your decision. Try to connect both, do A/B test by your ear and decide whichever you prefer.

You can use your TV aerial with a FM aerial together. I am using a two-socket TV aerial booster, one for TV and the other for my FM tuner and it works fine.

Cheers,