1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3801 and speaker compatibility

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by John Watts, Feb 5, 2001.

Tags:
  1. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Hi can anyone help me i an about to buy a the new Denon 3801 to replace my old Denon 3020.I have Bose acoustimass 6 speakers for the 5.1 but for the extra speakers needed with my 3801 i wonder what i should buy to match them well. I know i can get another set of bose acoustimass 3's ,but i also wondered if it is a possibillity to get two floorstanders for use with two channel music and put my existing front pair to the new rear? any help would be great and thank you.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Hmmm, I have always found the little Bose speakers to be very directional, I would be tempted to get a couple of bi-polars for the sides to difuse the sound a little.

3. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Thanks Jeff for the help,can you be more precise and recommend any in particular and by the sides do you mean the rear surround?

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    In a 7.1 setup you have 2 sets of rears, 1 pair should go on the side walls slightly ahead of the listening position, the other set should go high up on the back wall, pointing down towards the listening position. The acoustimass speakers are direct (very direct at that) radiation speakers, most 7.1 models recommend bi-pole or di-pole speakers which point the sound along the walls. Ideally you would have di's or bi's for both sets of rears, but I think that having bi's on the side walls will help a lot. Unfortunately you can't buy tiny bi-poles, but the Celestion C5-Rs that I have are quite compact.