Denon 3801 & A1SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ajeanes, Dec 9, 2000.

Tags:
  1. ajeanes

ajeanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the specs the AVR3801 lacks the power of the A1SE but has widescreen 7.1 channel playback of conventional sources and a receiver.

I currently use audiolab amps to power my main L/R speakers and think that the money saved between these 2 products would allow a similar set up. Any comments ?

Also is it better to have good power amps on the main L/R or also on the centre speaker too ?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The centre speaker anchors action to the screen and is not just for dialogue; in many (most?) peoples opinion it is the most important channel.

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 09-12-2000).]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete.H is quite correct in my opinion. The centre channel does indeed carry the greatest content in 99% of "films" thus if anything concentrate on center channel amplification rather than or as well as main L,R surround L,R. I use 3 rotel power amps 1 rb985 thx which bi-amps 2 center speakers another rb985 to bi-amp main L,R the remaining 2 channels drive an EX pair of surrounds and another rotel rb966 to drive 2 pairs of surround L,R
    definately continue along this path. I do not understand the logic in people buying £1500+ amps/receivers that have no natural up-grade path other than replacement a processor/power amp arrangement is invariably more flexible often more powerful and vastly improved sonics and above all easily up-gradable by replacing individual components etc!!

Regards

SteveEX

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pete.H is quite correct in my opinion. The centre channel does indeed carry the greatest content in 99% of "films" thus if anything concentrate on center channel amplification rather than or as well as main L,R surround L,R. I use 3 rotel power amps 1 rb985 thx which bi-amps 2 center speakers another rb985 to bi-amp main L,R the remaining 2 channels drive an EX pair of surrounds and another rotel rb966 to drive 2 pairs of surround L,R
    definately continue along this path. I do not understand the logic in people buying £1500+ amps/receivers that have no natural up-grade path other than replacement a processor/power amp arrangement is invariably more flexible often more powerful and vastly improved sonics and above all easily up-gradable by replacing individual components etc!!

Regards

SteveEX

5. ajeanes

ajeanes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Pete and Steve,

Thanks for your inputs. I went for the AVR 3801 plus 9 speakers. The audio expert was a bit surprised that I wanted 3 floorstanders the same and said they are normally sold in pairs. There is a resonable difference between the AVR 3801 and my original pre and power amp, but it should do well for now.
    I still have to await delivery of half the kit and cables to see the end product. Cant wait. I went for very good speakers knowing that I can always put better amps behnd the receiver.

All the best,
    Alex.