Denon 3800 Y/C delay

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by alpha10, Jul 5, 2004.

1. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi,

We haven't had a Denon 3800 thread for a while :D :D

I have been reading over on the AVS forums about a Y/C delay modification that can be done on the 3800.

Has anyone here in the UK had this mod done?

Cheers

2. Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have wondered the same thing. Does the PAL 3800 suffer from the Y/C delay problem?

Does Denon's UK distributer fix it?

3. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think so....Other than the scart I don't think there are actually any differences between NTSC and PAL naitive machines

If you get DVE/AVIA and have a look at any time say red and yellow boxes are touching, you'll see that they overlap quite significantly :(

I have emailed Denon UK, but as is usual with them I haven't had a reply yet

I thought there may have been someone here who'd know

Cheers

4. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Finally got an answer from Denon UK, and SHOCKINGLY they deny all knowledge :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Here's their answer:

[snip]
    Thank you for your e-mail. The last Firmware modification for the DVD-3800 (July 2003) included all the updates for that model and also for the DVD-A1 and DVD-2800MkII. The player in question recognises the relevant firmware and loads what is applicable to that model.

This Region 2 firmware included all the updates for these models including;

PAL Progressive playback, Chroma Upsampling error and “Improvement in the Video Characteristics”. This was to increase the level of the high frequency range of the Video Image signal from -2db @ 5.8kHz to approx 0db.

We can send you a copy of this firmware on CD-Rom by post ASAP on request. We are not aware of any other fixes specific to “Y/C timing” and it may be that the firmware mentioned above is the one being referred to on the web. Do note however that very occasionally there may be a modification in the USA for NTSC-only playback that is not available elsewhere in the same way that there are sometimes modifications only applicable to Europe and/or Asia.

Please note that this firmware will overwrite any “UK dealer-implemented region-free” modification that may have been applied to the player. In the case of a player that has been modified in this way it is necessary to contact the dealer who supplied the machine for any further updates.

[snip]

Now putting the issue with the Y/C delay to one side, what is interesting is the date of July 2003 for the last firmware release. I thought the Dec 2002 was the last release. Anyone know anything about this??

My S/W is currently:
    ESS 720N
    ESS 34625P
    Panel 6093-2
    DRV 6193-2

Cheers