Denon 3800 Sharpness setting

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CarlB, Dec 12, 2002.

1. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I've noticed something peculiar and wondered if someone might be able to help here. I have a Denon 3800 which is great, but I have been using Avia to adjust sharpness and am finding it impossible to remove halo fringing above/below horizontal lines. I have adjusted it to remove fringing from either side of vertical lines, but there is no setting which can remove the other fringing.

I have tried changing from progressive to interlaced but still the same (display is Panasonic model 4 plasma). I don't have any other progressive display devices to try this on, so wondered if anyone else has seen the same effect. I am connected via component cables (the 'pro' series from Lektropacks) and wondered if it might be solved by better cabling. Then again, maybe this is a fault with the player that will be solved by the new firmware upgrade when it is released.

If anyone could present their findings I'd be grateful, to try and determine my avenues of investigation.

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I'm gonna reply to myself now as I've been doing a little more investigation... :)

A re-viewing of Star Wars Attack of the Clones has proved to me that it is possible to see a DVD with no halo artifacts whatsoever. I mean none, none at all. It is total perfection from the transfer, which leads me to conclude that there is nothing in my signal chain at fault and that it *is* something to do with the DVD transfers.

My interest was piqued because I couldn't believe the fabulous reviews that Lilo & Stitch and Minority Report (both R1) have been getting for their transfers. I see terrible halos on Lilo, and some distracting halos on Minority Report. Others have commented on the perfection of these transfers, and having never been overly critical I assumed there must be some flaw in my system. Now I think I have perhaps reached a stage where my investment in kit has reached a level where it can really highlight the flaws in transfers that have been masked by my previous hardware. Star Wars AOTC and Monsters Inc both demonstrate that my hardware can deliver absolute purity and perfection, but many of the other 'excellent' transfers still show flaws under this increased scrutiny.

Now that I know my hardware is okay I'm not going to let this bother me unduly. It doesn't really spoil the movies for me, I was just worried that my player was screwing up these transfers that some others seem to rate so highly. Now I just think my eye is perhaps more critical than it once was...

Nonetheless I really enjoyed both Lilo & Stitch and Minority Report and would recommend both highly! :D

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    once you have seen things like this, it is very difficult to unsee them!!!! ;)

You are right, players like the 3800 are now that good that you can see the tranfers arent always great...this is why some people are starting to buy the supabit DVD's, which are meant to be transfered much better...

JJ