1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3800 Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mitchum22, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Mitchum22

Mitchum22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, Gang.

I'm a new owner of a Denon 3800(new firmware and hardware) and I must say I'm mighty pleased. The PQ and audio are both a light year beyond what I've had in the past(Toshiba 9200, most recently).

However, the player seems somewhat tempermental in terms of what disks it likes and does not like. For example, I cannot get it to play "Vertigo"(orange cover). It gives me the opening WARNING screen and Universal Studio flash, and that's it. After that there is nothing but a silent black screen. (The disk works fine in my other player and was fine in the old Toshiba.) It will also not play "Red Dragon". In fact, with that disk the player stays in LOADING DISK mode, until I power off.

(In addition, it will not play DVD+R disks, as stated in the manual. But it will play DVD+RW disks. At least those which have been given the "2-key Fix" as described over at the DVDplusRW.org forum.)

Overall, any ideas what might be caused the "Vertigo" and "Red Dragon" hang-ups?

Thanks!

2. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +209
    ^

There must be someone that can help!!

dvd :cool:

3. PeterKSA

PeterKSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a multitude of DVD's from most regions (1, 2, 3). Soon after I got the DVD-3800 (Picked up Sept 2002), I did the multi region, progressive scan firmware update as soon as it became available. I had a few lockups like you had, one DVD that comes to mind was Saving Private Ryan, R1. Same place on the DVD, repeatable. I had no alternative but to hang on to the machine due to where I live and the fact that I bought the machine in the UK so would have had to take it back there for the laser pickup change. Subsequently, the machine has had a lot of playing time on it now and the problem has gone away. Perhaps due to being "broken in"? I don't know?

Peter

4. Mitchum22

Mitchum22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter,

Thank you for your interesting response. I was hoping that the 3800 had a "burn-in" period.

Does that mean the PQ gets even better? :smoke:

5. PeterKSA

PeterKSA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The sound, most definitely. The PQ, hard to say for me as I got a new TV (Loewe 40"- I haven't ventured into plasma or projector yet) about the time that the sound was improving nicely.

Peter

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  7. Mitchum22

Mitchum22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,

You and your website have already been enormously helpful in getting my 3800 where it should be. Thank you!

Regarding the laser issue, what would be the reason that a faulty laser would not work with a handful of disks, and at the same time be perfect with all other disks?

One other question: when turning off the machine, would you recommend a system shut down(by hitting the power button on the front of the player) or is the remote turn off(which puts it into stand-by mode) better?

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Glad u found the site useful :)

Yeah - probs it is the disc's themselves. As you are probably aware the laser issue has historically caused quite a few issues and is definitely worth getting upgraded (if it hasn't already been done) in order to future proof your player.

Up to you really, I personally leave my machine in standby all the time - I have seen people in the past claim that standby uses power albeit very small amounts and is bad for the environment etc... others debate that switching on and off can degrade components - bascially choose which you prefer...also enable the auto-power off in the setup as this will auto put the machine in standby if you forget...

JJ

9. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mitchum22:

How are you doing with your 3800 now?

I have the same player and problems :( Mine will often refuse to play a disk and will apparently lock up (the panel still shows "loading"). It sounds like the player is trying to do something as the disk seems to speed up and slow down and other various activity noises

Sometimes after a few minutes it will start by itself. Other times I can press the open/close button and it will start again and continue alright. Sometimes (I was playing R1 Panic Room last night) and it just locked up and I couldn't do anything (the open/close button wouldn't work). I switched it off and back on again and this time it was alright. So far I haven't found a disk I couldn't play after various stop/starts. It seems on many (30%+ maybe) I have to fiddle with.

Once the player starts I never have any further problems, as you reported, which I think is weird if it is a laser issue. In some respects it reminds me of old problems I can remember with things like heads on floppy drives being out of alignment.

Most of my vast DVD collection is R1. Does anyone know if it is possible that this is a region protection issue? On my old Aracm DV88 I used to get similar problems on certain disks which again after restarting a few times you usually got to play it ok. Arcam told me that it was because of the studios deliberately trying to screw up R2 players. Disney was a common one there.

I think I'll check with SevenOaks tomorrow to see if know any more about this though just in case...

Mark

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mark,

I would strongly recommend you get Denon to fit the laser pickup replacement as this will likely solve most of your issues...did for me :)

Denon will be aware of the fix if you call it a "laser pickup replacement" fault

JJ