Denon 3800 OR (Philips 963 + CD player)?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Sykes, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sure that this has been covered before but I want to upgrade my present DVD player, a Toshiba 510 which does NTSC prog scan and DVD-Audio, to a player capable of PAL prog for my projector. I also want to at the same time upgrade my CD player (a £200ish dedicated player, a Marantz one, can't remember model number).

Question is would I be better get a single unit i.e. the 3800 (price ~ £800) or a cheaper DVD player, the 963 (~£350) plus another dedicated CD player (~£450).

My amp is a Denon 3802 with Kef Q series speakers.

Only other thing to mention is I may have only one DVD-Audio disc, but I am suitably impressed by this format hence would like to go fo the Denon 3800 over the 2800MkII

Any advice/views/prejudices appreciated

Sykes

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went for the Denon 3800.
    It's better on playing CD's than a £450 CD-player and it's more conveniant with only one player.

But in approx. 4 months there will be released a 2900, and in 6 months a 3900. Both able of playing both DVD-audio and SACD.
    This is from Denon Jeff on AVS, so the dates are not sure for the European market.

3. Goverias

Goverias

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sykes,

Two weeks ago I compaired the Denon dvd-3800 to my Sony XA-3ES Cd player (listprice around 800 Euro). I noticed that the Denon sounded very refined. It was well detailed and smooth sounding. I liked the sound better than my sharper sounding Sony.

Hope this helps.

4. a_b

a_b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sykes,

A separate CD player most certainly will be better, especially if you are prepared to buy second hand - you can get a lot for ~£450.

Having said that, I would recommend to try Philips 963SA as a CD player - it is actually quite good! I tried it in my reasonable (imho) stereo setup (fmj A32/Mission 782), and this was the first DVD player I really liked for CD replay (however, I have not heard the Denon). I think Philips is actually comparable with £400 CD players - the only thing it is lacking is a bit of bass extention, but you may not hear it anyway with an AV amp setup.

It will not be as good as Denon in video department, though - again, imho Philips is on par with other ~£300 DVD players, PAL progressive is nice but not mind blowing. Yet, if you are satisfied with the £300 video quality, this Philips can save you a lot of money.

Hope it helps.

5. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your inputs

Decisions decisions........I am still so undecided especially with the news of the denon 2900 which will be both SACD and DVD -audio compatible

6. MacLeod

MacLeod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to echo the comments from a_b regarding the 963's CD playing ability...
    From what I have heard (and read from other ppl's opinions) the CD playing ability of the Philips exceeds that of the Denon.
    The Denon has a better picture, however, but to choose it for this reason only would depend on how picky you are (once calibrated, the Philips isn't too far behind).

When I researched and shopped for a DVD player recently, I was looking for decent picture and good CD playing ability. At first I thought I was aiming too high and would have to settle for just decent video.
    However, the Philips meets these requirements and also features SACD and progressive scan.

As another option, the Sony NS905V has good picture and good CD (though not as good as the Philips), but lacks progressive scan.

7. TimF

TimF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 963 SA and imho the cd output is very poor (at least by analogue connections)

Even two channel SACD is not as sweet and musical as a decent cd player (although much closer than CD)

Multichannel sound is excellent.

It is of course an excellent DVD player and my advice would be to spend £300 on the DVD player and buy a Nad c541i or Arcam DiVA cd62T CD player as well.

I auditioned the Denon 3800 DVD - it was'nt bad as a cd player but in my opinion not a patch on the above dedicated players.

Of course if space and connections etc are considerations then a one box solution will have to do!

Cheers

Timbo

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I think that if you have the room (and the wife is not moaning!! :)) two dedicated boxes will always be better than one.

If you have to go for an all in one, then you need to at least look at the higher end players like the Arcam DV88+ or the Denon 3800 - these are a good compromise offering excellent DVD coupled with "reasonably" good CD playback...defining good CD replay depends upon your experience with dedicated hifi CD players and whether the rest of your system will do it justice

Personally, I went for the 3800 as I use DVD 80% and music 20% and just felt overall that the 3800 was more suitable in this regard (I already had a DV88)

Good luck with your choice :)

JJ

9. sr78

sr78
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How about the Arcam DV88+? Stunning picture and very good with CDs as well. A little more expensive then the 3800 though.

10. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

I must agee with Jasonjo to 100%

I bought the 3800 for the picture and thought that maybe It will also serve as CD player with the rest of my hi-fi equipment.
    Finally after recieving the 3800 I decided to buy a second hand nad s500 for 600 euro, and this is a much better sound experience, But if you don't care so much about real hi-fi, the 3800 is still a very competent cd player.

11. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Coming to the general conclusion that a seprate CD player is still a must, thanks for all the input so will go and get a demo of the Arcam and the NAD - have always liked Arcam but have read good things about the NAD.

Still keep wondering, however, how much better the Denon 3800 is over the Philips 963 (that is if it is any better) on both picture and movie sound frontsbut so far nowhere to demo in my vicinity.

Sykes

12. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    This may have been posted before and there for old news to some of you. I have just come off the phone from Denon UK and they have just confirmed that if your Denon DVD 3800 serial No. last five digits are over a 1000 it has the latest firmware/laser pick up's ect. As some earlier models may have experienced freezing or skipping. they also confirmed as I have just read that they will be releasing a DVD-A S.A.C.D player but didn't say when.

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Ash,

interesting to here this, last news I put on my site was:

"Update: According to news from a Swedish forum, it appears that for the European 3800 models with serial numbers above 700 (black models) and 1000 (gold models), the laser pickup has already been updated to solve a small problem that can occur on certain dual-layer discs. Denon UK still have not released or confirmed this however."

Your news from Denon UK seems to confirm this at last, you are very priviliged as to my knowledge Denon have NEVER admitted it to be an issue in the UK...until now...

Did they mention the colour finish having different serial numbers ranges for the fix as rumoured above?

Cheers for the update...

JJ

P.S. my machine is 11XX - phew!!!!! :)

14. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Sykes,
    If your thinking of getting an Arcam they have a dv89 coming out later this month. But I can tell you I'm very happy with my Denon 3800, I think the music playback of ordinary CD's is great for a DVD player.

:clap:

15. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Sorry Jasonjo
    I should have mentioned this is for the gold version, they did know about the black as well but I didn't ask. I hope yours is gold now!

:rolleyes:
    P.s. Thanks for the firmware, Great homepage.

16. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    luckily my black finish is 1187, so safe on both >700 and >1000 ;) :p

2 months later and my 3800 has been perfect...

JJ

17. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Jasonjo,

They also told me they had 40 sets of pick-up's on order in case they received any problems like they have in the States.

ASH1

18. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Denon UK being honest AND pre-ordering stock just in case...I can hardly believe it!!!:eek: ;) :rotfl:

JJ

19. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Jasonjo,

I know I'm treading on thin ice here as you may have seen the slaging I got on this subject, though there was some constructive criticism. But what do you think of your Rel sub?.:eek:

ASH1

20. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Ill PM you...:)