1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3800 or 2900 - Which is best ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr THX, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    As the header says, what are the opinions of you guy's that have bought a 2900 ??
    I’ve currently got a 3800; have had no problems at all with it since purchase a few months ago. DVD picture is awesome (Played through Panny 36PF10), CD reply is fine, ‘not as good as a stand alone player I know’ but it saves space on my AV rack not having two boxes and it does a decent job anyway. (I have it partnered with a AVC10 SE + POAT10 Power amp, Power amp driving the front speakers)
    I also enjoy the DVD-A play back that the 3800 performs and wondered whether I ought to swap to the 2900 to be able to enjoy a bit more variety of music on the SACD format??
    Any insight into the differences between the two players from anyone lucky enough to have owned or who has listened to both players at length would be much appreciated.

:smashin:

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your A10SE not have two sets of EXT inputs???

In which case I'd recommend simply buying a separate SACD player (not convenient for the rack I know).

Can't say for sure what step-direction changing your 3800 for a 2900 might be.

3. Mr THX

Mr THX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cheers for that Dimmy
    Yes the amp has another set of EXT input, albeit the 8 channel ones, but as you say it was the 'not another piece of kit on the AV rack' that I was trying to get away with.

4. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my biggest worry would be getting a 2900 which works as well as your 3800 is now.

There've been 'a few' problems reported to say the least :D.

5. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I cannot compare the 3800/2900 but i did change from a Pioneer 656 to a 2900 for about 2 weeks :( .

The 2900 was a lot lot lot better with PQ than the 656 and also the sound that came out of the 2900 with cd's/DVD-a/SACD was brill....the best i have heard in my house...this was going through a 3803.
    But i had a prob with it freezeing on CEOTTK R4 and the F,V,G indicator would not stay steady on the front display with most pal disks.
    I could live with it not playing the R4 disk, but once i knew the display flicker was there, i could not.
    I sent it back to Haydens and got the normal response of " This is the first time we have seen this prob and the freezeing is down to greese/oil on the R4 disk"......but they did not really want to know about the freezeing probs as it was a R4 disk and they have nothing to do with Multiregion players....so i got my money back and still have the 656.....which is a shame...if they had sorted out the display flicker i would of kept it as i thought it was worth the money just to get rid of that annoying layer change.....so now i am waiting to see the new player they are bringing out and how much it will be.
    I would keep the 3800 for at least another year.....(unless you are desperate for pal prog and can put up with the display changing) and wait and see what the new ones will be like.

Of course....if someone else brings out a player with a decent amount of buffer mem, before the new denons then i will try them and denon will not get my money.

6. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's an official Denon firmware upgrade for PAL progressive on the DVD3800 is there not?...

It's on the What Video TV website is it not?

7. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I tend to agree. Wait until new models come out, and then dip your toe in the water.

Better to wait and spend the extra, and get what you want, that performs how you require, and more importantly will last a long time, than constantly upgrade losing money each time.

As a matter of interest, I have just bought (yesterday) a Denon 2900. This after researching on these pages and extensive viewing of various players.

I couldn't justify the Merdian at £3000 as picture wise it did not offer anything over the Denon, and CD wise didn't improve on the quility of my existing Meridian two box CD player. Albeit it would be the player I'd chose if I was going for a single box.

I'm fortunate to be able to run both, so the compromises on absolute audio quality on CD replay from the Denon don't come into the equation. SACD and DVD A playback is fun though.

Picture quality on the Denon is awesome! Not seen much better to be honest. Was offered the Denon multi region mod, but have declined, as it seems that playing with the firmware causes the problems experienced by people on these pages and once the mod is done, there is no going back.

I'll keep my old Pioneer 717 to play any region 1 discs in my collection, but to be honest, I've not bought that many recently. I'm not sure of the merits anymore of buying region 1 discs.

BUT I will say i'm not an out and out film buff, I watch mainstream movies. I'm sure there are plenty of experts that'll tell me that there are films available in the states that you can't get here.

8. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't sony make some really slim sacd players now?