1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3800 freezing solved in USA, but how about EU customers

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by perka, Dec 1, 2002.

1. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Basicly, according to the below post By Denon Jeff at AVS forum, the well known freezing problem of the 3800 is now solved for the USA customers by changing the laser. But how about European customers, like myself?

"DVD-3800/9000:

Good News here is we have fixed the Freezing/Skipping/Dropout issues!! The not so great news is the fix is not by firmware, and we won't be getting enough parts, some in December, many more in January. The fix requires the replacement of the laser pick-up. Sorry, we are trying to get this speeded up. Your patience with us has been, is and will be greatly aprreciated!

We will also service units for those customers whose players do not exhibit the problem (which are many) but want piece of mind. There will be no charge for the fix, however shipping charges to us may apply - more on this later.

For those owners of DVD-9000 who want both the Fix and LINK SE Upgrade, these can be done at the same time, just be sure to let our folks know when you/they call.

**PLEASE DO NOT CALL OUR SERVICE CENTERS/DEALERS NOW, I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHEN EVERYTHING IS READY TO TAKE IN YOUR UNITS!

Since I am in Japan for a few days, any questions/posts to me may not get answered/replied to until I return to the States - should be later in the week.

Best regards,

2. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read this earlier today and e-mailed it to my Denon dealer as soon as i saw it. I'll post here as soon as i get an answer.
    Because it's a hardware problem i guess it is the same here in Europe.
    Lets all cross our fingers that they can fix our players soon.

My 200. post, only 4141 to Squirrel God.:rolleyes:

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    I too will have a chat with my delaer and get them to chat to their denon rep re this....

I have only just ordered my 3800 and would rather wait until the laser is fitted to the latest models if needs be....

JJ

4. stewarthollyhead

stewarthollyhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys I am confused. Why does everyone rave about this player?

I mean just from reading posts it looks like you're all waiting for a official firware upgrade because of chroma bug problems etc. And now a hardware fault with the LASER. I am sorry bt if i paid £1,000-ish for a machine I would expect better than this.

I have beent hinking of buying a new player but reading all this I must admit to feeling a little scared off?

Is this player really worth it?
    Surely the toshiba 9500 is better than this.

5. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Having just decided I would go ahead and purchase a 3800 for myself last week I was stopped in my tracks by the non-availability of stock at dealers. I'd read the threads here and on AVS about firmware issues but decided that it was just about sorted and worth the risk.

Anyhow, despite no stock, I was just about to pre-order for something in the next batch (due this week or next) when the post from Jeff@DenonUSA appeared on AVS. First thoughts were to go ahead and order anyway, assuming that if I do get a problem unit Denon will fit a new laser assembly free-of-charge. But then I got to thinking that I'd rather have one fitted and aligned on the assembly line rather than someone here in the UK having a go. Even if the unit works okay now, I'd like the new laser just for piece of mind. I just wonder when we'll be seeing new batches appearing in the UK fitted with the new laser assembly.

If you take care to read the entire thread (> 400 posts) on AVS "Special Guests" you can pick up a few nuggets of information regarding future products and announcements. It appears that Denon will be announcing new players at CES in January. There are also hints about adding Denon Link to further products, not just the DVD-A1. As an AVC-A1SE (upgraded) owner this could be of interest to me.

Now I'm wondering that if I wait for corrected 3800's to appear in the UK it might take 3 or 4 weeks, and if I've waited that long I might as well wait a little bit longer to see if a 3800MkII is announced with Denon Link. And If I wait that long and a new player is announced, it might not be availble in the UK for some months after that. So potentially I could end up waiting three or four months before deciding its safe to buy.

Argggh, when you want to spend money, why is it never that simple.

Allan

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Do U.K. models freeze anyway ?

I have had a DVD3800 on loan for the past week, putting through
    Monster's Ball, Scooby-Doo The Movie, Monsters Inc., Brotherhood Of The Wolf, The Godfather Trilogy, Panic Room, All About The Benjamins, Roadkill and Dog Soldiers.....
    No freezes.
    It also played U-571 ( which used to freeze on my DVD-2800 ) without problems.

The reason why this model is sometimes chosen despite the firmware upgrading wait is that in some people's opinion the performance is astonishingly good for the money.

The latest Toshiba SD-9500e and Arcam Diva 88+ / FMJ-27, together with Philips DVD-963SA are the other favourites, some more expensive, with the Philips considerably cheaper.

Obviously reading about lasers and new models revealed in January may delay a decision, but they probably won't be in U.K. until Summer 2003. Then even newer things will be around the corner.
    If needing a player right now, take a chance on a Denon, pay more for a Toshiba / Arcam or buy the Philips for now and save the difference ?

7. The Nightfly

The Nightfly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    "in some people's opinion the performance is astonishingly good for the money"

now that you've had it for a week, is this not your opinion ?

Allan

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Allan,
    Yes definitely my opinion.
    I don't claim any expertise, and although I respect the opinion of such as Edgeyboy, who decided on a latest FMJ rather than a Denon DVD-A1, the best plan is to give players you are interested in a good look yourself.

I'm not convinced U.K. models suffer the freezers thing, I'm sure anyone disappointed will be along really soon in this thread to confirm U.K. problems.

It's returned now by the way.

9. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought my freezer in Germany.I suppose the European model is the same shipped to UK as Germany? I have a May build date. FYI it took 6 weeks and about 15 films until the problem started.

When the new laser is installed, I would highly recommend this player. The DVD-audio sound quility is very good I suppose it equals to a £1000 plus cd player sound. Cd sound is average, and equals £400 - £500 cd player about.

Per S

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

perka,
    My loaner was a May build date, it's the second time I have had the same unit.
    First time was a while back when I tested certain discs which my DVD-2800 had artifacting problems with, the DVD-3800 played them fine.
    I agree the DVD-A sound is very good, maybe I would rate the CD replay a little better than yourself ... but who's counting :)

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just to keep this thread active...

I spoke to my dealer yesterday and he has contacted his denon rep re the laser problems explained by DenonJeff and I am awaiting a reply...

His initial response was that the laser problem had not been seen within the UK and was US specific - he also restated that the latest firmware should fix all of the current UK problems to date (i.e. MR, PALP, Chroma bug, freezing)

I will post when I know more...

Cheers

JJ

12. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Well done JJ, do keep us posted...

I find it hard to believe that the US and EU vresions would have different lasers??

It would also be really good to find out the version numbers of this so called 'new' firmware so we all know where we stand...

Cheers

13. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also don't think there would be any difference between US and EU versions. It would be wounderful though, if I could fix my freezing unit by firmware. When somebody gets the newest firmware and post it it will be very easy for me to verify. Thank you for your efforts JJ.

Per S

14. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Perka,

Could you tell us what films you've had freezes on??

I've only had mine a couple of days and would like to try out any that may cause trouble!

Cheers

15. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The worst freezing i've had was with Daylight DTS region 1.
    Freezes alot though the whole film and skipps like crazy.
    It was a brand new disk and is in perfect condition.
    I've had a couple of other small freezes, but nothing like Daylight.

16. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive had mine for 2 months now , its been modified to play pal prog and multi region . Ive played loads of films on it and havnt had a single problem , it doesnt run hot like a few people have commented either.

17. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi,
    Oceans Eleven, The fifth element, The Pianist....
    Then i stopped counting. The freezing occurs every second or third film after about 1hr playing, normally lastst 0.5 - 4 seconds and is not repeatable. Normally 1 to 3 freezes/film. My player gets very hot.
    The problem is identcally as decribed by many USA customers, and I doubt it would be fixed by firmware if this is not the solution in the USA. The problem is also if I try the latest firmware fix, then I will automatically invalidate my warranty and possibilities for hardware fix, ie laser changing. So unless Denon makes an offícial statement, there is a lot of risks making a update based on hersay.

Per S

18. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've had drastic freezing problems with Gladiator (Region 1) and Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition (Disc Two Region 1)...Usually about 80mins through the movie the problems occur, which leads me to assume that the laser tracking is out of alignment at the 80 minute mark thereabouts... at first the audio will blank out in 5 second intervals, then the picture will freeze as well 10 minutes later... Funnily enough, I've played loads of Region 2 titles recently without a hitch (Back to the Future Trilogy, Minority Report, Almost Famous, Jerry Maguire, Vanilla Sky, Raging Bull to name a few)

Maybe this problem is due to Region 1 discs? :confused:

I even tried setting the output on the 3800 to NTSC only, but still had no effect on LOTR or Gladiator

19. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Perhaps this is why DenonJeff stated the freezing only affected U.S. DVD-3800 s.
    Not a different laser but an assumption only U.S. players were using R1 discs ?

All the discs I have successfully played are R2.

20. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have only had freezing on a couple of moves and it was the first few i played (but both before and after i did the PAL-P, MR and Chromabug upgrade).
    The last month or so i have only had a couple of small freezes that can be layerchanges, (have not tested it on my DVD3000 to confirm though).
    I have over 80% region 1 disks and the freezing have only been with region 1, so that can be a clue here.

My dealer told me he just had gotten new software from Denon he had'nt tested yet. I may be able to get the hold of this sofware as i got them the last one from here.
    I'll drop by my dealer next week and ask if i can borrow and test the new sofware. (and of course copy it and post it here.)
    Hope they don't read this, i'v told them about this page.:blush:

21. magking

magking
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I got the disc.
    Take a look at the "Denon DVD3800- Official Firmware" thread.
    It is DVD A1, DVD3800 and DVD2800mkII software.

22. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    bump...still no news from Denon...

23. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have only had freezing problems with region 2 and never tested region 1. Mine is May build date and EU/scart version.

It looks like Denon tries to make this a US specific problem and if so, then the story with complaints has to to start from scratch in Europe before Denon start to react.

As Europe unlike USA consists of many smaller markets it will be more difficult for the consumers to organize complaints, but of course with this forum there is still a chance.

If your player gets hot(like mine), the US experience shows that you eventually (in most cases) will have freezing problems.

If Denon just makes an statement that they will change all defect lasers then I think many people will forgive them and buy Denon again. The picture is really good. If Denon put the head in the sand, I will not forgive them.

Perka

24. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I think Perka has raised an interesting issue, is it just the players that get hot that have the freezing problem?

Mine gets hot and the very first film I played paused slightly, I have watched 4 sine and had no more problems, all have been R2, was planning on watching 'windtalkers' on R1 tonight, so that could be interesting to see what I find!

Cheers

25. aftaburn

aftaburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guy's

I live in the US and have had the 3800 for about two months now and have not noticed the "freeze" as of yet..Will I be ok, this is the first I heard about it, and now I am worried...I wish I had not even saw this thread...

thanks

26. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you live in the US you can stay calm if freezing problems occurs as Denon USA will change the laser picup for you. Have look at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=177679

If you don't experience any freezing, you can relax and enjoy this player! Some users have players that don't get hot or freezes due to unknown reasons. It seeams that earlier build dates (look at your serial number, the third digit is the manufacturing month) are more affected by this problem.

perka

27. aftaburn

aftaburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "If you don't experience any freezing, you can relax and enjoy this player! "

:) ....phew...I really hope that I do not have any problems..Because I am really satisfied with the performace..I was assured by my dealer that the 'croma bug' was fixed and after reading the post I got a little scared....

Thanks for the serial number information, I'll check as soon as I return home this evening.......

thanks perka,
    -afta

28. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Another report that shows that this is also an European problem and that laser pickup change is the solution:

29. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi chaps,

This i getting really confusing now.

I spoke to my dealer re the laser issues and he asked the denon rep to investigate the laser issues and gave him a copy of the email from denonjeff.

The rep has just come back to my delaer and told him that there is no issue with the laser in the european model and has discussed the issue with denon Uk and denon Japan.

Quotes below:

"Denon UK are unaware of any problems with the dv3800 - and have received no untoward info concerning the player from Japan"

"Rep has all info you sent me and has discussed it with all concerned at Denon UK"

Who's telling the truth here??????

I trust my dealer, who trusts his Denon rep - or is the typical denon denial strory :(

JJ

30. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I wouldn't trust Denonafter my experiences with the 2800 I had, even up to when it was exchanged they denied knowing about any problems with 2800's........