Denon 3800 Blu Ray question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Mr H

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have heard that it is possble to turn a USA player into a UK player for blu ray use......

With a UK firmware update?

Anyone done this?

Does this ONLY do DVD?

I have a Denon 3800 blu ray player from USA that I would like to turn into a UK Blu ray player - This can be a permenant change, (I have another 3800 for USA blu's)

Many thanks for your advice.

I have heard that it is possble to turn a USA player into a UK player for blu ray use......
Where did you hear this? I made similar enquiries a few months ago about whether I could buy a UK 3800 and turn it into a US one. Denon refused to confirm or deny and the retailers I spoke to were also unable to provide advice. Ended up getting a US model and planning on buying a 4010UD to complement it (subject to reviews of course!).

Nothing been posted here regarding the matter i'm afraid. :(

Mmm.......

Do you think I would MONEY the player........

Better not answer that for legal reasons......

I can fit a hardware multi region Blu Ray mod but the price I get the kits at is high in my opinion..........

I dont know much about blu ray drives - Is the DRIVE regon coded like the DVD drives used to be?

If there is a chance of it being coded in te firmware I would consider a chance with my player, the spare I have is an early unit with the failed 24p output. I have my other main 3800 USA unit.

Mmm.......

Do you think I would MONEY the player........

Better not answer that for legal reasons......

I can fit a hardware multi region Blu Ray mod but the price I get the kits at is high in my opinion..........

I dont know much about blu ray drives - Is the DRIVE regon coded like the DVD drives used to be?

If there is a chance of it being coded in te firmware I would consider a chance with my player, the spare I have is an early unit with the failed 24p output. I have my other main 3800 USA unit.

The region B machines can be made multi-region for SD only via a firmware disc but no talk of BD done this way with either region players.
Mod chip only for Blu-ray.Some players can be flashed though so you never know i guess?

I meant...

would I "MONKEY" the player (kill it), I seem to have typed MONEY the player.....

So......

I might be that if I flash the USA player with UK firmware that is will still ply USA Blu's but UK DVD, that would not be an issue, I don't use DVD's anymore.

OR it might turn out to be UK Blu & DVD - I great thingif true.

Third option is a player that makes a great door stop, but **** all use for little silver disks???

Anyone think of any options I have missed ???

2 of 3 appear to leave me with a working player.
Meat Loaf once told me 2 outta 3 ain't bad!
If NOEL asked me deal or no deal ,I thinkwould deal on those odds :devil:.

Any opinions ??? Feel free to speak up, If I kill the player its my doing, Clearly would prefer to avoid that but gotta gamble every once in a while.

I meant...

would I "MONKEY" the player (kill it), I seem to have typed MONEY the player.....

So......

Wondered what you meant when you said "MONEY" the player. :D
Up to you of course,but unless someone posts saying your break the player 100% then gamble.
Enjoy your weekend.

The drives are not region coded to my knowledge like DVD. When I ran a PC based solution it was very easy to reset PowerDVD's region change count, and unlike DVD drives, Windows has NO BD region code settings for the drive itself. Only PowerDVD seemed to care.

I sure I read somewhere that a 3800 owner did flash between A & B firmware, but I can't find it.

The acid test would be to use one of the new Fox/MGM discs such as Quantum of Solace as these use the latest version of that horrible BD+ software and so are the most likely to show up any issues. Pionner in the US recently mis-configured some parameters at plant on some machines and the latest BD+ spotted the issue and wouldn't play. So if it a) works and b) QoS plays then you might get away with it. I guess you could even try the MR DVD firmware it you're feeling very cheeky :)

Thanks Ian,

Some great info.

I sure I read somewhere that a 3800 owner did flash between A & B firmware, but I can't find it.

I think this was in the for sale section here. Guy selling a 3800 mentioned you could UK/USA the player for Blu Ray with a "Quick" his words flash update. Promised to give details with the sale. Item did not sell here, I asked about the firmware flash but got no reply - Don't know if its true or rather misleading sales patter :eek:. Think is went to an auction site, I asked seller and again no reply:thumbsdow.

The acid test would be to use one of the new Fox/MGM discs such as Quantum of Solace as these use the latest version of that horrible BD+ software

Will order one, good disk to use to try, Thanks.

I guess you could even try the MR DVD firmware it you're feeling very cheeky :)

Please explain/guide me here......There is Multi Region firmware (for DVD) for a UK based player (Blu) ???

I try and keep up !!!

I remember with the XE1/XA2 (Old school HD DVD :cool:) that the firmware update is updated in sequential order so you can't roll back (Without a firmware hack). That would greatly slow down a "Swop" process of UK/USA for Blu as a flash update, unless you created a number of Hacked firmware sets with .00000001's increase in number to also avoid a clash with a REAL new firmware update........Getting a little ahead in my thought process, all part of the logical consideration process of the obsessive mind :eek:.

Andy.

Denon provide multiregion versions of the firmware for their BD players to Denon dealers who may charge or provide it to you for free. I guess it depends how well you get on with them. This is pretty much as they used to do for DVD players if I recall correctly. So it is official firmware and not a hack.

So, if you know a friendly Denon dealer, they may supply you with the latest UK multiregion DVD firmware for the 3800 to try the flash with.

I'm guessing not many have tried it as it's an expensive machine to brick, but you know the risks I'm sure. I suppose if you're going to give it a go you might as well go for broke. ;)

I guess it might be worth trying a slightly older MR firmware so as you say if it doesn't seem to work, you can try a later US version to attempt to restore the machine to its original state.

Good luck.

OK,

I am used to the Denon USA site, Professional, easy to use, Just go to download updates etc.

Was DENON UK website built by a child ???

Can't find updates, awful looking site with poor navigation, Come on DENON! at least make the effort in the UK !!!

Anyone know where I can find any UK firmware :confused:.

Current usa seems to be 1.119

I think saying the UK site was built is being rather kind...

There's a separate site for the EU firmware downloads... but I think it validates your serial no, and doesn't contain the MR firmware for public download.

DENON Download&Support

Probably thrown together by a monkey on acid. :D

If you can't get in, perhaps some kind soul with a UK 3800 could PM you a serial no. IF not, if you live near to TLC, I'm sure if you popped in you could come away with the appropriate discs in the interests of scientific experiments. ;)

Last edited:
ONE STEP FORWARD........

I found the OLD link to the UK/USA firmware for sale thread.

With it was a UTUBE video which at the time did not work.....

BUT is now running, Anyone speak good French ???

video is 7:31 long.

Starts with loading of Europe firmware disk, takes FIVE minutes to load the firmware . Takes 1 min 40 seconds to start the film after firmware update (almost as slow as my first Samsung!)

Most of the video is watchng a static screen - Watch out for the PUSSY shot at 4 mins 47 ish seconds - For the kids out there :D:D:D.
[/back on topic]

[-]So someone PM me a UK serial number PLEASE :thumbsup:.
[/-]
Got serial number, Thank you.

ALSO - The center speaker in the video - I swear that's a Tannoy D750, If not its very similar looking - You know, Large rectangular box with a grill on it! And could well be my old spare speaker - I did ship it to Europe, not many around.......Anyway the video made me look for things in the picture, 7.5 mins of paint drying !!!

But brings HOPE for a simple cheap/free Multi Blu ray fix.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/arch...95-sale-denon-bluray-dvd-3800bdci-zone-b.html

Last edited:
I think saying the UK site was built is being rather kind...

Probably thrown together by a monkey on acid. :D

I can confirm the use of acid......

Website starts

"Valuated DENON-Customer!"

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:.

I am expecting to read something like the following in the instructions......

Usey firmware thingy updateable download at risky owners. If poor use of firmware thingy then bricky expensive high end Denon product . SIMPLES :D.

So far.....

Got serial number.

Downloaded up to date EURO files.

Just realised I dont have a single UK Blu ray :suicide:.

But thats easy to sort......

Off to burn some disks - I always struggle with this bit !!!

Ooops :thumbsdow.

I have a screen that now says

"Update Failure (0x43)"

Does not tell you what to do, Nor do the instructions......

Good old Denon :rolleyes:!

Should I have put both files on one disc in the burn process?

The Denon update says to burn at x4 which I did, instructions only mention putting one disc in, the firmware update site has CD1 of 2 and 2 of 2 so I burnt 2 discs........

Disk went into player, loaded into its eprom memory, only when i removed the disk and it should have STARTED the internal update did it fail.......

Time to power off and see whats left :eek:.........
(EDIT : Its playing a non region CARS Blu ray at the mo, so still breathing)

I took pictures so upload for others to see so far........

Last edited:
Now updating :thumbsup:.......

I pressed the WRONG button......

I pressed the open/close on the PLAYER,

You MUST press the open/cose on the REMOTE :suicide:.

CD1 now loaded showing v1.119

CD2 now on update

Will it be :smashin: or :thumbsdow looking good so far.

Well I have a USA bought Denon 3800 BDCI that is currently running Euro firmware v1.119

Currently it plays CARS which is region free - So its still a
working player :thumbsup:.

It is also playing 10,000BC which is a USA bought disk but does not show a region on it.

AND is now playing Revenge again a USA disk.......

I dont have any UK Blu ray films !!!!

to test.......

So I have a working player but not sure if it will play UK Blu's yet .........

If it works fully I will setup a new thread thats more obvious, didnt want loads of traffic on this one yet !!!

99.9% sure its all working.....

AND I have also now reloaded the USA firmware and its back as a USA player.

So I have a Denon 3800 multi Blu ray region,

Takes a couple of minutes to change region if you need to.

I took pictures so just need to re size and load up.

I will wait until I have tested a few UK Blus but looking good here.....

THANK YOU to those who helped in this thread.

Andy.

Well done for trying... :thumbsup:

I wonder if you can do the same with the Denon 1800 and 2500?

Makes you ask when will a manufacturer have the bottle to leak or provide a MR machine. Chip mods are coming down and in some cases getting easier to add, some players seem to allow you to switch regions, which seems to prove the region isn't always embedded in hardware...

I guess the next step is for the likes of RS to start providing MR modded players like they used to with DVD.

99.9% sure its all working.....

AND I have also now reloaded the USA firmware and its back as a USA player.

So I have a Denon 3800 multi Blu ray region,
Hi Andy,

I would also import one of these in a flash if I thought I could do this.

Most of my discs are region free or region A, but the number of regions B discs is increasing with new releases.

Have you actually been able to play a region B locked disc with the EU firmware? Did you understand that the other seller had been able to do this?

Looking forwards to hearing your new acquisitions, by the way!

Mad, Mad Mr H indeed!

Cheers, Nick

Hi Nick,

I dont have any LOCKED or even region B only discs.......

I just bought a couple in the forum for sale section,

So will be a able to check in a few days.

YES - the original selling did indicate this but I dont know if the disc used was "LOCKED".

As I put LOCKED region "A" into the player with "B" firmware it would NOT play - so it does appear that I had changed the region......

Hope thats easy to follow.

SO.....I can confirm the following 100%

USA player playing USA locked and all region discs OK - as factory unit.

USA player with EURO firmware v1.119 does not play USA locked discs OK - Although a negative point this is CORRECT.

USA player with EURO firmware v1.119 does play all region discs OK.

you CAN switch back and forth between v1.119 EURO and USA firmware by a simple 2 minute disc load process OK (I have so far gone USA to UK ok, UK back to USA ok. I will go back to UK when the UK locked test discs arrive)

SO....

Still to check is a USA player running Euro firmware and playing a UK locked disc.......

ONCE that is confirmed I will post a much more obvious thread and title...........For now I did not want loads of people trying or cluttering up a thread with possible bricked machines........

NOW : For my own setup...........and why this is fantastic news......

I have 400+ HD DVD's and a XE1 player - Happy thats the best option available.

For Blu ray I have USA Denon 3800 and about 70 discs.
Due to £/$ changes shipping in is say 30% more expensive today than a year ago.

As I found out yesterday many are region free, BUT I dont really want to build the collection up anymore than it is so renting from LOVE FILM is about £120 a year and seems excellent value for money, BUT would be UK discs so the need for a UK player.......

I bought a second Denon 3800 which I have to say I did think was a UK player - My fault and its a USA player.

I CAN fit a multi region hardware addition but that would be about £200 cost to me + time and is always a risk to the player.

So my original idea was to have both UK and USA players to use my current films and uk rented ones.......

It now seems that I might be better checking ALL my 70 Blu's and see how many are USA locked, Set one player to UK, sell off the USA locked films and sell my second player, and join love film.........

I can always set the one player to USA if required and either my own situation changes, or the £/$ swings back.

Does that seem sensible to others?

I NOW dont see the need for two players, I can only use ONE at any time and the value in the second player might be better spent on rented films and towards other toys maybe :thumbsup:.

Thoughts anyone? As always I am 100% happy to hear others opinions and am open minded enough to consider change of my own personal opinions

(NICK - HD DVD rules still thats set in stone :devil:, Although I will admit that it might have less sales than Blu in some polls..........maybe!)

Seemed sensible until your last bit in brackets... :devil: Go spend a week in the HD DVD anonymous thread as pennance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom