Denon 3800 and Dolby EX/DTS ES

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by John G, Feb 12, 2003.

1. John G

John G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have just purchased a Denon 3800 and am very impressed with it's surround performance.However,can anyone tell me why,when playing an EX or ES disc i.e Attack of the Clones (EX)or Seven (ES) the Denon display does not seem to be registering that a rear surround channel is present.It seems as if the sound is fine and that it is playing OK,but the symbol on the display never lights up.I have tried all the audio options on the player but EX or ES are not amongst the audio options.Could someone help shed some light on what is or isn't happening?
    Many thanks,John

2. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I can't see why it has a indicator for centre rear on the display as it has no way to decode the channel should it be present on a disc. It has no output socket for it either.
    Could be that the segment was added to the display during design phase as a 'just in case'. Easier to have it there and not used than the other way round!

3. Chris S

Chris S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LEDs indecate descrete decoded channels, which are not necessarily reflected with real speakers. ie a phantom rear centre, like a phantom front center that some systems have.
    Mind you, that still does not answer the question why the LED does not come on at all!