Denon 3800 & 2800 MKII December Firmware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Mr Merrick, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    This post was in the 'Denon 3800 Unofficial Website" thread but I've posted again for the benefit of Denon 2800MKII owners (my bad)

This is the brand new December Firmware revision for the Denon 3800. I'm now working for the dealer I sought the firmware from in the first place, so after a quick phone call (to you know who) I was sent the disc the next morning. Amazing eh? :rolleyes:

I also requested the Denon 2800MKII firmware for a customer as well. Download the files here:

http://www.geocities.com/mr_merrick

I have already updated my own 3800 with this firmware and it's running brilliantly...I'll report in more depth when I get the chance to watch Gladiator (R1) and Lord of the Rings: Extended Edition R1 Disc Two). Hopefully the freezing problem I've been having with these discs has been cured.

Regards

David

2. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello,

I have already tried the latest firmware but to no avail. My dealer lent me the disc last week fresh from the land of Denon. This helped out with 45 degree line issue I was experiencing but the lock-ups soon started again but with different films (Mr Deeds R1, Manhunter R2, Seven R1)

I have been in contact with Roger at Hayden labs and he has been sympathetic and extremely helpful in his suggestions. However, the proposed solution involves a laser pickup change which would be available at the end of January.

With Christmas coming and films in Santa's sack I had to abandon my 3800 for an Arcam FMJ DV27 (new chipset). This player arrived today and is absolutely amazing.

For all those (on this forum) who have provided information and the relative tech support staff (DenonJeff, UK Hayden and of course my local Sevenoaks) I would like to express sincere thanks for all the help.

Good luck with your 3800's guys, I was just too impatient!!

3. RAMiAM

RAMiAM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Any1 know if these discs that are circulating also have the new DVD-A1 firmware.

All help really appreciated.
    I was one of the test bunnies (thanks denon) that was told to install the original US firmware.

Regards,
    RM.

4. MrC

MrC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2800mk2 firmware is
    DRV 1-69
    ESS 6098
    Multiregion, RCE
    FBI & Copyright warning skip

Don't know about Pal progressive.
    Maybe Richard Harnwell can help on that one.

Same filename as the Pal progressive firmware from the Italian site.

Looks like the same firmware installed in my 2800mk2 when I bought it in June this year.

5. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well the (2800 MkII) firmware is certainly different to that from the Italian site.

PAL progressive does not work with this firmware. I had my player set to progressive in the set-up menu, and when I put in a R2 DVD, my projector was not able to produce a picture at all (I was hoping that it would just switch to Interlaced PAL). So, with this firmware, I would need to make a change in the depths of the service menu (turn progressive on/off) when switching between a R1 & R2 DVD - not very convenient.

I'm afraid I haven't had chance to see if this firmware exhibits the same lip-synch problems I had with the Italian version. I'm not at home much over the next few days, so I'm afraid any further analysis may have to wait a while.

Richard

6. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    According to a few sources, it looks like the new December firmware discs are starting to do their rounds with dealers now.

It may be worth checking with your dealers to see if they have the new discs.

If anyone manages to get hold of the firmware files, please drop me a PM and I can upload the files to my website (www.geocities.com/denon3800)

Cheers

JJ

7. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I took my 3800 to my local Sevenoaks dealer yesterday as they called to say they had just received the new firmware from Denon. After installation my firmware was the same as before, notably the DRV was 6100 not 6193-2 as some people have.

My numbers (same as before):
    DRV6100
    ESS34625p
    PANEL6093-2

8. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Strange the numbers have not changed? How are Denon going to know whether you have the July or Dec firmware when troubleshooting versions???

Did you get a copy of this disc or did you see any version numbers or dates on it?

JJ

9. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    No the dealer wouldn't let me at the disk. I see that someone else tried the firmware and ended up with the same numbers though (I think it was Magking in the Official Firmware thread).

My gold 3800 serial number is 0959, so if there is any truth in rumour I will have to send it back to Denon for a laser replacement. Perhaps I can get the firmware sorted then, if not before.

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    maybe the drv6193-2 firmware is only for the laser fixed models????

11. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Carl, this does all seem very strange as I had my player done by 7oaks only a few weeks ago and got the different firmware numbers.......

Are you going to tackle 7oaks about the serial number being less than 1000 and see what they have to say about the whole thing??

Cheers

12. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I tackled Denon on the serial number issue and they said they are aware of the issue in the US and still investigating if it is applicable to any UK models. They have my serial number and will be contacting me in January (when parts are available) if I am affected by the issue.

13. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Don't forget that the same firmware update may appear as different figures depending on which version of the 3800 you have.

I read a post by denonjeff at avsforum that from september(?, I don't remember the exact month) there is a changement in the ESS hardware which add some numbers to firmware figures.
    This is just a theory, but could be the explanation.

Perka

14. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    That was one of my concerns, that my August-build 3800 (gold, serial number 0959) was not able to accept the latest firmware revision or something. Maybe the new software only works on machines with the new, updated laser assembly or something similar.

I didn't mention it as I thought it may be a little far-fetched, but at least someone else thinks the same! ;)

15. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The ESS hardware is good theory for the differing versions but it is the DRV numbers that differ not just the ESS ones...Anyone know what the ESS, DRV, PANEL numbers relate to? I guess DRV could be the drive firmware which is likely to be differnet with a new laser????

still doesnt explain why July and December firmware versions appear the same? surely denon need to be able to track what firmware version the player has been applied with in order to trace whether an upgrade would be needed sort out issues???

Would be nice to know what fimware versions are on current virgin players and then see the versions after being applied with the so called latest Dec versions? will have to wait and see I guess...

JJ

16. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Does anyone know if there are any later 2800 mkII firmware versions in the pipeline? I'm still waiting for that holy grail of multiregion & PAL+NTSC progressive without lip-synch problems.

Obviously, I'd be most happy to lend my services as a beta tester.......,

Cheers,

Richard

17. Trig

Trig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I am considering the 3800, have found that PRC Direct are offering them at £769.94 for region 2 and multi region at £799.94, seems to be a very good price.
    My question is being a cheapskate, if I bought the region 2 model would I be able to upgrade it to multi region using the downloads offered by Jasonjo on his website or is it more involved than that, hence the extra £30.

Ta
    Trig:rolleyes:

18. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The PRC prices are good but also check out the following thread for other places you can buy for circa £800

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56063

In terms of whether you should buy R2 or MR - it is a risk assessment really, but rememebr that if you buy R2 online and then update the fimrware yourself - if things go wrong it is likely the online company would not want to help. If you ARE willing to take the risk, the cheapest option is to buy R2 from the net and then use the firmware from the forums or my site to update the player for MR...quite a few people have done this now and I haven't heard of anyone trashing their player.

IMHO the best way is to try and get a local Denon dealer to price match and get them to apply the latest firmware. This way you should be covered and can go back when new future firmware is released for any updates. You do pay more (if they dont pricematch fully) but you do get better protection and service.

Hope this helps ;)

JJ

19. Trig

Trig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks

20. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Oh well...the new firmware didn't do the job so I've contacted the Denon rep and have arranged collection of my 3800 in the new year... (Collecting it now would be futile since nothing would be done with it until January anyway)...it appears that a laser replacement is the only option for those of us who've been experiencing the freezing problems. I'm borrowing an Arcam DV27 in the meantime and I have to say I'm very impressed with it...particularly when skipping chapters (the way the picture fades from one scene to the next instead of jumping)...However, I can't say that it's any better than the 3800 in terms of picture quality. It certainly is a sharper image, but the 3800 is definitely more cinematic. Oh well, it could be worse:D

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all members and moderators

Regards

David

21. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Mr Merrick - sorry to hear about still getting freezes. What number is your player? - does this prove the less than 1000 (gold) or 700 (black) therory about players?

JJ