Denon 3700H: DTS audio playback problem

sergzav

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Have just purchased Denon AVC-3700H.
My current configuration:
  • Speakers setup 5.0 (FL, FR, Center, SL, SR))
  • Connected to TV LG Oled 65CX (HDMI).
  • X96 as a mediaplayer (HDMI connected).

I faced a problem that the AVR doesn't detect correctlu any audio stream with DTS. In Auto mode it detects it as "Stereo". Audio stream with AC3 it detects as "DD + DSur". I tested it on two movies (with old DTS 5.1 and new DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD) and got the same result (please find a couple of examples attached).

I just cannot understand whta is wrong and will really appreciate any help from the community.

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Movie_1.jpg
    Movie_1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 140
  • Movie_2.jpg
    Movie_2.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 112
Sorry to ask something so silly but are you sure there isn't a setting on the media plater where it is downmixing the content into 2.0 PCM? That's what it looks like is happening.

Sorry to ask something so silly but are you sure there isn't a setting on the media plater where it is downmixing the content into 2.0 PCM? That's what it looks like is happening.

I checked it: it's configured for Disgital Sound Out as HDMI passthrough

Have you got the X96 connected to your Denon via HDMI as I am pretty sure if connected to the TV you will not get DTS, just Stereo.

If you do have it connected to the Denon Then:-
Have you tried pressing the Movie button at the bottom of the remote while playing a DTS file . If the source is DTS then there should be an option on screen to choose it.

Example screen where the source is not DTS and the only DTS option is DTS Neural : X which is an up mixer which can be applied to DTS and non DTS material.
GUI Surround X2200_ZHOBILiyafyghu.jpg

Last edited:
What is your source? It sould be noted that quite a few of the more recent TVs now no longer support DTS formatted audio, noy even if passing it through and out using ARC or eARC. If you;ve a relatively new TV then it is likely that it wont support DTS or allow you to pass DTS formatted audio through that TV.

The LG CX would be one of the TVs effected by this.

Is the media player cionnected directly to the AV receiver or is it connected to the TV and using eARC to convey the audio to the AV receiver?

Last edited:
Have you got the X96 connected to your Denon via HDMI as I am pretty sure if connected to the TV you will not get DTS, just Stereo.

If you do have it connected to the Denon Then:-
Have you tried pressing the Movie button at the bottom of the remote while playing a DTS file . If the source is DTS then there should be an option on screen to choose it.

Example screen where the source is not DTS and the only DTS option is DTS Neural : X which is an up mixer which can be applied to DTS and non DTS material.
View attachment 1573876
Hi Dolus,

X96 is connected via HDMI.

Thank you very much for your advice, I will check tonight :)

The LG CX would be one of the TVs effected by this.

Is the media player cionnected directly to the AV receiver or is it connected to the TV and using eARC to convey the audio to the AV receiver?

Slight :offtopic: but how rubbish is it that you spend a million quid on a posh TV with eARC and it still doesn't do DTS?

Anyway, back to topic. If it was through the TV with eARC, wouldn't the TrueHD signal have worked?

Slight :offtopic: but how rubbish is it that you spend a million quid on a posh TV with eARC and it still doesn't do DTS?

Anyway, back to topic. If it was through the TV with eARC, wouldn't the TrueHD signal have worked?

TrueHD, Dolby formatted audio and multichannel PCM should be fine. It would just be DTS encoded audio that wouldn't passthrough such TVs.

Also note that if he was applying Dolby Surround upmixing to the source then this too would be applicable to TrueHD.

THe issue appears to be with HD formats as opposed to just DTS encoded audio?

Maybe the source and its audio configurations are the issue as opposed to it being anything to do with either the TV or the AV receiver.

Agree. Like you've said, can't diagnose further until we know whether using eARC or direct into AVR.

E.g. if eARC, then the TV audio settings may need addressing too!

But yes we didn't ask for the source. I've heard of people who download films through torrent for example where the audio can be wrongly described. So can be labelled 7.1 TrueHD but is actually just 2 channel.

The player is connected to AVR, not TV.

Two reasons:
1. LG SmartTVs don't support DTS 5.1
2. I tried but couldn't make eARC working with TV & AVR (and this is my second question). So I had to connect TV to AVR by optical cable at the moment. All was set as in manuals: 1) eARC on TV is enabled, 2) HDMI passthrough (instead PCM) is selected on TV, 3) ARC is enabled on AVR, but still no sound :(

As for source, one of the movies, I tested, is the Matrix, downloaded many years ago... My previous AVR (which is also Denon but without HDMI) detects audio stream from the same as DTS (player was connetcted to AVR by optical cable), so I suppose that the source is Ok. So it worked fine on old AVR but doesn't on new one...

Regarding eARC:

Have you checked the input assign on the AVR and that it is set to enable ARC and not just optical?

Does the AVR have up to date firmware?

Are you using a decent certified high bandwidth HDMI lead?

The player is connected to AVR, not TV.

Two reasons:
1. LG SmartTVs don't support DTS 5.1
2. I tried but couldn't make eARC working with TV & AVR (and this is my second question). So I had to connect TV to AVR by optical cable at the moment. All was set as in manuals: 1) eARC on TV is enabled, 2) HDMI passthrough (instead PCM) is selected on TV, 3) ARC is enabled on AVR, but still no sound :(

As for source, one of the movies, I tested, is the Matrix, downloaded many years ago... My previous AVR (which is also Denon but without HDMI) detects audio stream from the same as DTS (player was connetcted to AVR by optical cable), so I suppose that the source is Ok. So it worked fine on old AVR but doesn't on new one...

For a start, HD TrueHD nor DTS-HD MA can be conveyed via S/PDIF optical so you cannoot have been accessing TrueHD if using optical.

Ensure that the sources HDMI audio output configurations are set to an option that is or equates to BITSTREAM. Also ensure that secondary audio is turned off if the player includes this. Note that you were previously using the optical output and this would orfinarilly have different configuratio options when com[ared to the HDMI audio output. You'd need to set the players HDMI audio output options seperately from the optical output options.

Do you have a conventional Blu-ray player at your disposal? If so then use this to test the AV receiver. Connect it to the HDMI input that you'd connected your media player to and then play a disc encoded with DTS and a disc encoded with TrueHD. The results you'd get will determine whether the manner in which your media player is configured is at fault for what you are experiencing.

Sorry, didn't get it

I have only one HDMI cable: on AVR it's connected to Monitor1 eARC, on TV it's connected to HDMI with eARC.
On AVR optical port #1 (TV Audio) is connected to Optical port on the TV.

What else should be set up on AVR side?

Sorry for such a lot of questions, guys...

1632230893849.png

BTW, there is one more strange thing I notised.

After I started to try to set it all up with TV & new AVR (HDMI & eARC) Netflix app on my LG TV showed me most of movies with ATMOS option (like on the picture below). But now all the same mivieas are listed on Netflix page with 5.1 option. Strange...

1632231232605.png

Okay, so if the AV receuiver is only connected to the TV via HDMI is it safe to assume that the media player is connected to the TV and not the AV receiver?

If so then as I've already stated, your TV cannot handle, passthrough or output DTS encoded audio.

Also note the if you've dissabled ARC and are usiung optical then optical is limited to 5.1 SD formatted audio or just 2 channel PCM.

You cannot convey DD+ via optical and this is what streaming services package Atmos with. If using optical then you'd not be able to access Atmos. You'd need to use ARC in order to access DD+ and Atmos. You'd need to use eARC if wanting to pass HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM through the TH sourced via a device connected to one of the TV's other HDMI inputs. OPtical will not enable you to access HD formats, DD+ or Atmos.

Last edited:
  • My player is connected to AVR as I'd like that the AVR to process all audio content from the player (including old DTS which is not supported by TV)
  • AVR is connected (Monitor1) to TV by HDMI

To playback media from the player I don't need eARC as all audio is to be processed by AVR.
But for all the media played on TV (Netflix, Youtube, IPTV, etc.) I want to be able to get audio stream from TV to AVR by eARC

It looks that I'm going around and doing something wrong, but cannot understand what exactly :)

Here are my settings.

But I'm wondering how AVR knows which input should be played when (e)ARC is selected on TV?
Which button on RC should I press to listen the sound?

1632241367713.png

On my x3700, I have TV Audio, which I use for eARC, set to an X for HDMI and eARC for input mode.

And dashes for everything else.

Last edited:
Good morning, guys

There is a progress!!! :)

I managed to make eARC working.
I'm ashamed to say it, but the reason was that I connected HDMI cable to incorrect port :rotfl:
I was sure that ARC port has to be #1, but it's #2 (TV's mounted on the wall, so it's not possible to check labels on the back, and I was lazy enough to not to double check with manual...)
Also, I purchased new HDMI 2.1 cable yesterday (just in case)

So, the result is: I managet to get Dolby Atmos (DD+) from Netflix on my AVR :):):)

But the problem with playing DTS audio from media player still remains :(

I tried three options:
1. Media player is connected to AVR, audio out: HDMI passthrough
2. Media player is connected to AVR, audio out: SPDIF (optical)
3. Media player is connected to TV, audio out: HDMI passthrough -> ARC

In all these cases audio stream was detected by AVR as PCM

So, it looks like the problem is with the player. Either it's incorrectly configured or there's a problem with hardware. I have no more ideas...

PCM-1.png
PCM-2.png
PCM-3.png

Re: my comment yesterday at 12:29, is the media player telling you the actual sound format or just the name of the soundtrack you're using?

Many "dodgy downloads" will have a label (name) for each soundtrack but that doesn't mean that the sound format is what it says it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom