Denon 3700 B&W 603 vs 4700 B&W 603 S2 advice

Your b&w speaker choice is spot on!

2nd do your research on Subs, as said above SVS PB1000/2000 Pro gives monster LFE and it will make your setup sound deep/amazing and expensive. Put most of your funds into this, more equals better. Big bang of the buck.

3rd budget avr with the functions you require No need to go mad in this department.

Is that the previous model of the top end one you've shared from eBay?
The current model is the X6700. There will be no difference in the audio. The X6700 will have a few more bells and whistles that are fitted to the 2021 models and it's easy to compare them side by side on Denon's site. It has different components and better power supply than the X4700 or X4500 and can be set up for stereo music.

I have the X6500. It's price on flea bay does in someway reflect what is happening to prices on the secondary market as I paid that for a brand new model back in March 2020. I think it's from a dealer so may come with a good warranty. Denon was offering a five year warranty on new models.

The current model is the X6700. There will be no difference in the audio. The X6700 will have a few more bells and whistles that are fitted to the 2021 models and it's easy to compare them side by side on Denon's site. It has different components and better power supply than the X4700 or X4500 and can be set up for stereo music.

I have the X6500. It's price on flea bay does in someway reflect what is happening to prices on the secondary market as I paid that for a brand new model back in March 2020. I think it's from a dealer so may come with a good warranty. Denon was offering a five year warranty on new models.
Your pricing observations demonstrate the market is crazy right now then!

I know I'm still a bit of a "noobie" or however you spell it but I totally agree with everything said.

Only thing I would reiterate (someone's already said it) is to demo if possible the difference in sound for music.

I say this because the 1080 is highly reviewed (even for such an old model that's still going) for music. I've had a 1040 before and in my opinion it really was quite special for music compared to other similar AVRs.

I have Denon now, and the "AL32 Processing Plus" in the x4400 really does make a difference and is noticeably better audio pre-amp than the x3600 I had (although agree with speaker vs amp comments!). But just saying wouldn't want you to go out and get either of the Denons and be disappointed with music.

I love music but I'm more of a 10/90% split, so my system is more optimised for "cinema". If I didn't have puppies or grandchildren, I'd be more 40/60 and I'd definitely have a separate amp with bypass and my front speakers more positioned for hifi (mostly closer together) than cinema... then I'd need front wides 🤣

And to be even more boring, the way I directly switch to test the DAC ability, is I have a Rotel RCD-965BX CD player. Plugged in analogue and digital in. Then switch between.

STR-DN1040 - Rotel DAC clearly better
AVRX2300 - "Different" couldn't say which better
AVRX3100 - "Different" AVR DAC just about better
AVR4310 - AVR DAC clearly better
AVRX3600 - "Different" but AVR DAC better
AVRX4400 - AVR DAC leagues better, compared Rotel as transport to bluray player and couldn't tell any difference!

Obviously, it's not just the DACs being tested but that is the only change when switching from one to another. And I haven't any calibrated gauges, I used those gristly things on the side of my head.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom