Denon 3600h fault, options on return ?

Catching Crows

Novice Member
Reaction score
I bought a Denon 3600h last week.
Firstly i'd like to say i am surprised how thrown i've been by just how good it is in my set-up. Apart from finding the centre speaker to be a bit low (-db), everything else is great.
I have the q-acoustic concept 40 front speakers with the concept 20 as surround and 2020i as roof speakers. All wiring is good quality (£400 worth) in a 7.1.2 set up.
I have a marantz cd player and marantz pm8005 amp so all is great on the stereo front but I am also using the Marantz to power the two front speakers when listening to surround sound.
Unfortunately after several hours listening the sound drops and all i am getting is something similar to a 1940s radio station. By simply turning the amp off and on i am getting it back to normal but it has happened 3 times now in as many days!!!
I contacted richer sounds and they asked if I wanted a refund or the amp replaced, I believe i made the correct decision in choosing this amp, especially after hearing it so choose the latter!
Now here comes my issue, should i maybe take this opportunity and buy an amp that that i can connect up remotely so the marantz pm8005 turns on and off with everything else, ie. marantz sr6013 as all these remote controls are annoying me.... The denon has trigger out but the marantz only has remote in for marantz equipment, call me fickle but i'd prefer some advice on maybe using a credit balance to buy something that will hook up to the one remote control...
I don't want to get a lesser amp and just airing my thought process due to circumstances, any alternative Marantz amps as good or better than the denon ?

If you could upgrade to a 4500 that's a better, more powerful amp that will give a little more headroom to the connected speakers as well as better processing in AL32. Little point in going for a Marantz receiver as you already have the pm8005 in place for music. Is the ability to turn the 8005 on really an obstacle as you will have to spend three seconds pushing in the button on the 8005's fascia to enable HT by-pass.

If you could upgrade to a 4500 that's a better, more powerful amp that will give a little more headroom to the connected speakers as well as better processing in AL32. Little point in going for a Marantz receiver as you already have the pm8005 in place for music. Is the ability to turn the 8005 on really an obstacle as you will have to spend three seconds pushing in the button on the 8005's fascia to enable HT by-pass.

Holding down the button isn't an issue, it's when i'm sitting down. I have 4 or 5 remotes and have recently bought the 4k firestick as well.
When i turn it on or off every other device either turns on or off apart from the marantz amp.
I know my thought process is pretty dumb but chose to ask the question whether i could buy a marantz amp that would be at least as good as the denon but allow me to connect it up via remote cables to allow it to turn on and off with the firestick remote.

On another note you have mentioned the 4500 on more than one occasion, ignoring my OP what could i gain by buying this rather than just getting another 3600h ? I have neighbours to consider so don't have an option to go hell for leather with the volume. Luckily though my home is well sound proofed so i can get away with enough to please the ear.
Would i benefit anything at all by spending a few £ on a 4500 if taking the above into consideration ?

I have neighbours to consider so don't have an option to go hell for leather with the volume.
You are in charge of the volume control. 60dB on a powerful amp is just the same as 60dB on a less powerful one.

You are in charge of the volume control. 60dB on a powerful amp is just the same as 60dB on a less powerful one.

Thanks for your input, back to OP i guess then, maybe with slightly different wording.... Is there a marantz amp that would sound at least as good as the Denon 3600h and if so, what model should i consider ?
This amp would only be used for Home Theatre so stereo output unimportant, thanks

They are basically the same under the skin, sister companies under the control of Sounds United. Apart from something like the HDAM circuitry which is found in Marantz higher end models practically all the components are the same. People choose Marantz for music, Denon for film.

I'm a Denon and a Marantz owner, I have a Denon AVR X6200 for over four years and it's my fourth Denon receiver, none of which have failed on me. I've had a Marantz SACD player that had to have a warranty repair after eighteen months. I think you've just been unlucky. The equivalent Marantz to the X3600 would be the new SR6014, or SR 6013 if you can still find one. I based the 6014 on it's 9.2 abilities same as the 3600. You always seem to have to pay a premium for Marantz models.

I use a HT capable amp with my X6200 as I was very disappointed with stereo music although I would be more than happy to replace the X6200 with a new X6500 if need be, but my Rega Elicit-R would still carry the music duties.

You should look into a harmony elite remote and hub, do away with all remotes and just use the one. It’s somewhat complex to set up but a great bit of kit, especially when you add Alexa into the mix for voice activation

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom