Denon 3600/3700 AVR - DAC

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Hi Guys. Have auditioned Rega Elicit-R integrated stereo amp and have made the decision to buy to replace an existing very high end AVR that I used for AV and Stereo. I intend to acquire a used Denon 3600/3700 to provide AV and connect the Rega via HT bypass to the Denon. In stereo my main source is a RP3 TT. I also listen to CD's on occasion (via Sony UBP X800) and will want to stream music via the Denon. My question revolves around using the Denon "front end" with the Rega to play CD's and stream. A forum member (in another post) suggested that the Denon Pre amp and DAC would impact negatively upon the Rega (not make the most of the Stereo quality of the Rega). Has anyone any thoughts? Is the Denon DAC likely to impact on the Rega when playing CD's? Some posters on other forums suggest that this would not be the case so I'm putting it out there again before I make a purchase.

thanks guys.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
The usual advice is to connect stereo sources to the Elicit and surround sources to the AVR. So I would connect the CD player and Turntable to the Elicit only. The Denon preamp section will definitely have an effect and when used that way you are only be using the elicit power amp circuits in HT bypass mode therefore if you want to do this you can buy a less expensive power amp to do the same job. The Preamp, after the speakers and room (and maybe turntable cartridge) probably has the most effect on the sound signature.

Most AVRs work by taking all inputs, both analogue and digital, turn them into digital, applies processing and then turns them back into analogue before the amplification stage. This has a detrimental effect on the stereo analogue sources and digital sources. Plugging them directly into the Elicit will bring you all of the benefits of the stereo preamp with a much less tortuous sound path.

Just look at the economics - £1700 elicit split between case/controls/connectors, preamp section, two channels of power amp, power supply. £1000 AVR split between a case/controls/connectors (many more of them), a load of ADC/DAC Chips and circuits, preamp section, decoders, software licenses to Dolby etc., five/seven/nine power amps, power supplies (Note the power amps all share a single power supply usually in an AVR which is why in the specs the power drop when you use 2/5/7/9 channels). There are some cost gains in the AVR volume sales but not that significant.

There are a couple of members on here that use the Elicit in such a way so hopefully they can provide comments.

Dragongjf

Novice Member
Hi Ugg10. Thanks for responding. The Bluray player (Sony UBP X800) is a transport only and as such a DAC/preamp is needed so I can't connect directly to the Rega (it's totally analogue). This is the reason I asked if the Denon DAC/pre would impact negatively on the Rega. At present connection for CD's would be Bluray to Denon to Rega (using HT bypass). If the Denon DAC/preamp would impact negatively on the Rega when playing CD's (as one member of the forum suggested) then I may need to consider an external DAC.

gibbsy

I use a Denon X6500 with an Elicit driving the front left and right via pre-outs. If you are going to use the Denon in anyway it's that amp's pre-amp that is going to have influence on how the Rega sounds. It's a fine power amp as it doesn't colour the incoming audio in any way. Therefore the poor stereo abilities of the Denon is just going to be amplified by the Rega.

You have to cut out the Denon from having any influence or processing with stereo music. I have simple taste in kit for playing music and currently have a Marantz SACD player direct into the Rega. I also have a Pioneer LX500 4K player which has stereo analogue out and this has been used with the Rega in the past. The difference in analogue to the Rega or HDMI to the Denon was quite stark. Even by analogue to the Rega the Pioneer is not as good as the Marantz when it comes to redbooks.

You could get a standalone DAC for a Rega connection or go for a standalone CDP with it's own DAC via analogue to the Rega but certainly cut the Denon out of chain.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Agree with @gibbsy, easies way is to use the coax spdif output on the Blu-ray and put it through a stand alone DAC and then into the Elicit. Something like the Smsl Sanskrit 10th mk2 would do the job pretty well Or the Topping E30.

Jester1066

Agree with @gibbsy, easies way is to use the coax spdif output on the Blu-ray and put it through a stand alone DAC and then into the Elicit. Something like the Smsl Sanskrit 10th mk2 would do the job pretty well Or the Topping E30.
I also concur with both @Ugg10 & @gibbsy. Cut out the Denon altogether and get a seperate DAC

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
... the poor stereo abilities of the Denon is just going to be amplified by the Rega.

Agreed 100% and have been saying that for years. However it may be worth a try to see if it meets the needs. And if not, look at an ext dac

3rdignis

I have said before if you put a dac between tv optical out and stereo amp all stereo hdmi sources connected to avr will remain digital up to seperate dac, is this right?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom