Denon 3313 or 4K advice

Stubidoo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, hoping a few here have had a similar quest....... I'm still more than happy with my 1080 Panny tv but not so much with my Yam Blu ray player, and still in love with my Denon 2900 for DVDs, so I was initially looking at 4k players from Sony and Panny mid to high range, but reckon they might be wasted on my 1080 tele, so have started looking for a Denon blu ray player, first looked at the 2500, but watched a youtube vid of one of these loading a disc and it was painfully slow, so I moved on to the 3313 which also has multi region capabilities unlike the 2500 (I think). I know I take the risk of my Panny giving up the ghost as soon as i buy a 1080 blu ray player, but I do rather love Denon, my 2900 still works perfectly. Getting a good 3313 will be a project, there are a few dodgy looking machines on ebay that I am currently ignoring, lies about multiregion etc If you've got this far thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

I've still got my 3313 although I've not used it since buying a Pioneer LX500 for 4K duties. PSU failed under warranty which was quickly replaced and up until buying the LX500 I didn't have any bother with it. I never bothered with multi region so cannot comment on that aspect. Playing wise it is a very good machine. Never failed to correctly read any discs and multi channel SACD was pretty good as well.

I guess the main question is will a decent 4K player runnning vanilla blu rays and dvds on a 1080 tv still look and sound better than my old Yammy 677, I always found the sound to be too sharp compared to the Denon 2900, admittedly there is a massive quality difference between these.

The vast majority of my discs are blu ray and really it's the TV that is the deciding factor on how good the image is going to upscale. My player works best with source direct so the native image is output and just upscaled by the TV. They do look very good indeed and it's really just the HDR that makes 4K stand out from upscaled blu-ray.

I have a direct connection to my OLED because my Denon cannot pass through DHR10+ and my player is getting a firmware update for HDR10+ in Spring 2019. Oh hang on, it's late, very late, but that's another story.

Problem you have with new players is simply the lack of them at the moment. Number of factors have all but stopped the production of the Pioneer LX500/800 models. Covid no doubt along with a fire that destroyed the AK chip factory in Japan and parent company Onkyo's ongoing financial problems. Hopefully they will return in the summer.

If you want SACD then your stuck with Sony or there is the new kid on the block.

I guess the main question is will a decent 4K player runnning vanilla blu rays and dvds on a 1080 tv still look and sound better than my old Yammy 677, I always found the sound to be too sharp compared to the Denon 2900, admittedly there is a massive quality difference between these.
No reason why not, it's all digital. If you get a cheapish 4K player it will play 1080p discs no worries, and will be future proof as when you get a 4K TV.

This is my problem, I do not want a cheapish player, but wonder if a decent 4K player would be an improvement on my existing gear as I would not be using it at 4K, ie do $K players play vanilla blu rays and dvds well at 1080.
Again as per my previous post, the answer is yes. Blu ray players just send a digital signal to your display, so the PQ differences between them are actually quite small. When I say "cheapish", I don't mean pants, I mean affordable, value for money. Obviously subjective though, so for me something like the Panny UB820. You can still pay much less though for a decent player though.

If you want to spend more of course, then you could get a Panny UB9000, or a Pioneer LX800 - but I would suggest a bit overkill for playing HD discs. Would any of them be an improvement? For HD/DVD, unlikely, they are likely to be very similar. But for future proofing, a no brainer.

You can get some older Pioneer players on flea bay such as this LX88. Seller has it down as being 4K but it can only upscale to 4K. Really good SACD spinner. Bit pricey but a fraction of the cost of some used Oppo models that go for around £2.5K.

I can find any listings for the LX58 which was, alongside the LX88, the LX500/800 models of their day. I also owned the LX58, again a good SACD spinner. I originally listed the LX58 for sale alongside the Denon 3313 to help fund the purchase of LX500 which ever went first and the LX58 was snapped up within hours.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
But for future proofing, a no brainer.
My heart always out guns my brain! The UB820 is my brain option, there seems little other choices, I get the future proofing option, never actually achieved it before.

Pioneer players on flea bay
Defo the heart option, as for Oppo the money seems stupid. Pioneer is tempting......but alot of dough, particularly if some dimwit drops it during delivery.

Cheers guys, the search continues

My heart always out guns my brain! The UB820 is my brain option, there seems little other choices, I get the future proofing option, never actually achieved it before.
Now's the time to break the habit of a lifetime then!

Reckon to get a good 3313 may cost £500ish with your experience of this machine and the Pioneers do you reckon the Pioneer LX88 is worth another £200?
Yes. I thought the LX58 was better than the Denon. Story behind buying the Pioneer but maybe too long to go into. The Pioneer LX500 is certainly better than the Denon with SACD, pointless comparing image quality as one is 4K so somewhat irrelevant. There's a more open sound quality with the Pioneers.

Fair to point out that I was using a Marantz cd6006 for stereo music and at the time the Denon was for film and multi channel only. The main thing to remember with the Denon is that it is a transport only and if you are going to use it for CDs.

£500 for the 3313. Wow, highest I've seen them is £150 on the bay.

£500 for the 3313. Wow, highest I've seen them is £150 on the bay.
Cheapest seems to be £300ish, but looks like it has been used as a skateboard, prices for these seem to going mad, I'm considering that Pioneer you linked, a lot of moolah though, seems a good one though.

Cheapest seems to be £300ish, but looks like it has been used as a skateboard, prices for these seem to going mad, I'm considering that Pioneer you linked, a lot of moolah though, seems a good one though.
I think the 3313's price must be a reflection of the lack of SACD players on the market because of Covid. When you consider that I bought mine new for £400 and the LX88 was £1400 new.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom