Denon 3312 - DTS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mavers, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. mavers

mavers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I am running the Denon 3312 with a monitor audio 5.1 setup.
    I have two queries:
    1) When watching movies with DTS the volume is a lot quieter. I've checked the settings and have made sure that I have Dynamic Volume off. Is there any reason for this?

2) Occasionally the subwoofer doesn't come on. Its happened so infrequently (three times in 8 months) so I haven't really dug around the settings. Is there anything i can quickly do to on the amp to do a test?

Thanks.

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Are these blu-rays you're referring to as it could just be down to the disc mastering. In the old DVD days DTS tracks tended to be louder than their Dolby counterparts.

As for the sub is it permanently switched on or left on auto?

3. mavers

mavers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sub is switched on auto (by signal), and it's a Monitor Audio 370HD.
    Had the same issue yesterday. Sub had the "standby" light on, and when playing a particularly bassy track it did not switch on. The back of the sub was hot to touch. Gave it ten mins and it then switched back on and it worked perfectly. Seems like the sub is entering some sort of protection mode. I'm a little surprised by this as the sub is only 8 months old and the room is well ventilated. I imagine its over heating?

Additionally i've tried to connect the sub to the amp via the 12v trigger, though i get a hum from the sub woofer when its connected this way. It was connected via a mono cable, so i'm going to buy a stereo one to see if it will make any difference.

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Stereo cable to the sub might do the trick so definitely worth trying that. I know that's worked in the past for some subs.