1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 3300, no sound please help!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dood, Jul 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I am devastated. My Denon AVR 3300 has been working wonderfully for a few years. It is the precursor to the 3801/2/3/4 range. Yesterday I stopped getting sound from it on all channels. Input switching works fine and the correct video is displayed but no sound. The problem has to be before the power amp stage as I have a separate integrated stereo amp (Arcam delta 290) driving my front L and R speakers via the pre-out. Today I tried altering the audio mode and briefly when I changed from prologic to 5 channel stereo the sound was back. I thoght perhaps it was the knob that was faulty and when I turned it back to prologic the sound disappeared again. Lots of switch toggling later but no return of the sound. I have resorted to taking the analogue audio outs from my DVD player and staellite decoder directly to the arcam stereo amp in order to watch but my surround sound is gone.

Interestingly, I have another stereo amp for multiroom. The sound in the second room was not affected, so the signal was getting to the pre-out for the multi-room audio. I've noticed now that although I am getting sound in the second room, the volume is very low.

I'm hoping that the problem is simply a case of dirt or something needing to be re-soldered, and not a major component failure. My big problem is that in Zimbabwe I'm not sure if there are any Denon agents or anyone who would have a clue as to where to start looking for the problem. It could get quite costly to export and re-import the amp to a place that can fix it and I'd hate to trash it if the problem is simple to solve.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem could be and any technical advice about how to get it fixed?