Denon 3200 - thinking of buying new TV, do I need a new AVR?

famasfilms

Banned
Currently have a Denon 3200 (2015) and a 2016 LG OLED EF950v

Thinking of buying a new OLED and that's when potentially needing a new AVR came up for eARC but I don't think I need this.

I watch Netflix and movies/TV shows downloaded and played on my desktop PC with mpc-hc and madvr. This passes HDR and Atmos to the Denon and everything works fine.

The LG OLED does not support Atmos via its apps or anything "higher" than regular HDR.

I recently got a Chromecast with Google TV and plugging this into the Denon gives me Atmos via Netflix

Are there any scenarios where I would need eARC? I don't have and will not be getting any games consoles. I very rarely play PC games.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The only things lacking from your current AVR is support for HDMI version 2.1 sand eARC.

Your existing AVR already includes support for HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision and its implimentation of conventional ARC is all that you'd need to be able to access DD+ inclusive of Atmos if accessing this via any of the streaming service apps on your new TV.

What you'd not be able to do if you'd not an eARC enabled AV receiver is passth HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM through the TV from extenal sources and out to the AV receiver using eARC.

Note that both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC enabled in order for you to be able to use it or benefit from it. Also not that many of the newer TVs now no longer support DTS so you'd be unable to pass any audio encoded with a DTS format through such a TV even if it were equipped with eARC.

Here's a side by side comparison of yout current receiver next to the present day comparable model from Denon:

As it stands right now, eARC is only of any realuse if wanting to connect a games console directly to the display and if wanting to then passthrough the multichannel PCM audio out to an AV receiver. This has been especially the case with the newer HDMI version 2.1 equipped consoles.

famasfilms

Banned
The only things lacking from your current AVR is support for HDMI version 2.1 sand eARC.

Your existing AVR already includes support for HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision and its implimentation of conventional ARC is all that you'd need to be able to access DD+ inclusive of Atmos if accessing this via any of the streaming service apps on your new TV.

What you'd not be able to do if you'd not an eARC enabled AV receiver is passth HD formatted audio or multichannel PCM through the TV from extenal sources and out to the AV receiver using eARC.

Note that both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC enabled in order for you to be able to use it or benefit from it. Also not that many of the newer TVs now no longer support DTS so you'd be unable to pass any audio encoded with a DTS format through such a TV even if it were equipped with eARC.

Here's a side by side comparison of yout current receiver next to the present day comparable model from Denon:

As it stands right now, eARC is only of any realuse if wanting to connect a games console directly to the display and if wanting to then passthrough the multichannel PCM audio out to an AV receiver. This has been especially the case with the newer HDMI version 2.1 equipped consoles.

Thanks, it was one of your posts in the Denon thread that made me realise I could get Atmos on Netflix if I plugged the Chromecast into the AVR instead of the TV - that was at 3-4am!

I know everythings gone up in price last few years, but jesus my 3200 was circa £600 six years ago.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks, it was one of your posts in the Denon thread that made me realise I could get Atmos on Netflix if I plugged the Chromecast into the AVR instead of the TV - that was at 3-4am!

I know everythings gone up in price last few years, but jesus my 3200 was circa £600 six years ago.

The X3700 is however a 9 channel AV with 11 channel processing though, plus the fact that the price you paid will have been a discounted price and not one in alignment with the initial retail price.

Yes, prices are high and are not being discounted like they used to be. This is mainly due to shortages which are keeping prices high. THese shortages are mainly due to shortages of the components needed to make these AV receiver's lockdowns in the countries ordinarilly associated with their manufacturer and issues surrounding the logistics of distributing them around the world. Both the prices of new and used AV receivers are being affected by these shortages.

rpr

I'm intregued that you say the LG OLEd won't pass Atmos from in built apps. Has LG disabled this on newer models as my LG OLED65B8SLC passes Atmos from the built in apps

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'm intregued that you say the LG OLEd won't pass Atmos from in built apps. Has LG disabled this on newer models as my LG OLED65B8SLC passes Atmos from the built in apps

I think that he;s refering to his current 2016 model as opposed to LG TVs in general?

I've a C9 and all the apps associated with any of the streaming services that include Atmos can access it. The TV also outputs this via ARC or eARC in association with the DD+ audio the Atmos metadata is packaged with. LG TVs are probably the best you can buy as far as their ability to access such content via streaming services is concerned.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom