1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 308 or Onkyo 797

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mark.balcombe, Dec 4, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Mark.balcombe

Mark.balcombe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am Looking at upgrading my old Sony 930 amp to a DPL2 model.

Denon 3802 gets great reviews but I also like the look of the Onkyo 797.

What are people's views of Onkyo amps? Cant seem to find many retailers who sell Onkyo stuff.

Cant even find the price for the 797 model.

2. flunchy

flunchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Onkyo are very popular in the US and on mainland Europe. Unfortunately in this country they are distributed by Jamo UK, who don't seem to be able to get them reviewed or stocked in any shops.

I have a 595 and been very happy with it. Bought it from Hifi Junkies for £300 and compared favourably (to my ears) to similar priced models from Marantz and Yamaha. I like the fact that they seem to concentrate on the important stuff (i.e. lots of power, instead of gimmicks), and are very well built. The 797 looks good buy going by the specs in my Onkyo brochure.

I'd buy one over the Denon just to be different from the 1000s of 3802 owners that seem to contribute to this forum ;) - but then I also own the Kef KHT2005 speakers (the eggs) and it seems everyone has those...!

I think the Audio-T group of hifi stores sell the whole Onkyo range.