Denon 2930 does not read DVD-R discs !

pottydave

Hi, I popped in to Seven Oaks Sound and Vision today, to test run a Denon 2930 and a Projector that I am thinking of buying. I bought with me a handful of SD pre-recorded DVDs with me, and these played fine on the Denon. However, I also recorded a SD football match from Sky using a Philips DVD (– R) disc, recorded on a Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder. The Denon was just not interested, and did not recognise the disc. The guy in the shop said that this was a particular problem with DVD (-R) discs recorded on Panasonic machines in particular. Is this guy right ? or is the Denon simply not compatible with DVD (-R)? Has any body got any thoughts or comments about this one?

Thanks

Pottydave

Eddy Kins

I had a Denon 2200 which was very fussy with recordable DVDs. It would play Philips +RW, +R but not TDK discs! It refused to recognise -R discs at all. Eventually it bacame temperamental with all formats.
I don't think the issue lies with the Panasonic recording process - it's the Denon in my opinion.
Forget any support from Denon (They won't be interested.) Many people are very happy with their Denon machines but my own personal experience means I will never buy another Denon disc spinner.

Ron240

I have a 2930,and it has no problem with +R discs,but i have personally always stayed away from -R discs because there used to be a lot of incompatibility problems with them.
It used to be the case that if a player had a problem with one type of DVDR,then it would usually always be the - disc.
This is probably not as relevant today,but i will still never use - discs,and see no logical reason to change.

pottydave

Thanks for the comments, I have a large number of recordings using DVD-R/-RW format and I have never had any problems with them before now. Therefore, I am quite disappointed with Denon, as I was after a high quality up scaling dvd player and the 2930 seemed to fit the bill. However, I think I am now going to check out the new Toshiba HD machines instead.

norge

Hi, First I was going to buy a 1930...seemed sound was not good as 2930...now that I decided to buy a 2930, seem to be other problems of freezing, -R incompatibility...Well do not know what to buy!!

pottydave

Hi, First I was going to buy a 1930...seemed sound was not good as 2930...now that I decided to buy a 2930, seem to be other problems of freezing, -R incompatibility...Well do not know what to buy!!
Hi, I am no expert but I have heard good things about Toshiba HD-XE1/Toshiba HD-E1 DVD players, especially in terms of up scaling abilities. However, I can't personally recommend them as I have not demo'ed them myself as yet, but definitely worth a look.

Regards
Pottydave
P.S. You might want to start your own thread on the relavant forum, there are a lot of good people out there, who know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

spooney

Hi, I popped in to Seven Oaks Sound and Vision today, to test run a Denon 2930 and a Projector that I am thinking of buying. I bought with me a handful of SD pre-recorded DVDs with me, and these played fine on the Denon. However, I also recorded a SD football match from Sky using a Philips DVD (– R) disc, recorded on a Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder. The Denon was just not interested, and did not recognise the disc. The guy in the shop said that this was a particular problem with DVD (-R) discs recorded on Panasonic machines in particular. Is this guy right ? or is the Denon simply not compatible with DVD (-R)? Has any body got any thoughts or comments about this one?

Thanks

Pottydave

I just threw in an old recording on a Verbatim -R (first time - dada) and it loaded in less than 2 seconds.

I'd say it is not the DENON in general but as always specific DVD -R brands/recorder combinations.

BTW: I have read all HD players have good upscaling/SD picture qualities.

Crustyloafer

Distinguished Member
I also recorded a SD football match from Sky using a Philips DVD (– R) disc, recorded on a Panasonic ES10 DVD recorder.

Once you have finished the recording, did you go into the disc management menu on the Panasonic recorder and finalise the disc? If not, then this is the reason it did not play back on the Denon player.

TommyVecetti

The Denon was just not interested, and did not recognise the disc. The guy in the shop said that this was a particular problem with DVD (-R) discs recorded on Panasonic machines in particular. Is this guy right ?

Yes. I have a panasonic recorder and quite a few brands of player refuse to play the discs back properly.

I don't rate panasonic recorders at all. Sony are much better.

pottydave

Once you have finished the recording, did you go into the disc management menu on the Panasonic recorder and finalise the disc? If not, then this is the reason it did not play back on the Denon player.

That's a very good question, I will double check the disks I used. I will probably give the Denon another look. However, I am thinking of buying a new HD player, but want to wait to see what happens. This is because of rumors of the new machines with the new DTS HD audio format, are expected to appear at back end of this year.

Thanks

Pottydave

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom