1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barongreenback, Apr 5, 2005.

1. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Having originally intended to spend much less on a DVD player a few reviews have led me to believe that this may be worth the £500 spend for the extra quality to pair with my LCD TV. Does anyone have this model and are you happy with it?

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Previous to the 2910 I had a pioneer 575A. The difference in picture quality was astonishing on component. And things only improved further with HDMI.

Sound quality improved a lot for movies too - more solid and the surround effects were better even my amp didn't change.

As for music playback I have't tried it as I've a dedicated set-up, but the dvd-a and sacdplayback is apparently very good.

The 3910 takes everything up another notch!

3. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks Deanym. On your recommendation (and a few reviews ;) ) I went and bought this. Initial impressions are very good indeed.

4. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You'll not be disappointed. I would also recommend you download and install the -8 MR firmware. Improves the performance over the regular mr hack.

Look for the details in a thread in this section.

Best of luck with your new toy!! :smashin:

5. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks, had some more fun with it now. With the right quality discs, the picture is nothing less than superb. Never tried updating firmware before and there's nothing in the manual. What does the firmware update and what benefits will I get. My player came from Sevenoaks and I believe it's multi region. Incidentally for the other 2910 thread I've had no problems outputting prog scan to my LCD.

6. mrflibble

mrflibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the 2910 just a few weeks ago from Superfi. As I've mentioned in another thread I sent my back and got them to send me a replacement which hadn't been multi-region modified as their mod screwed up the progressive scan on component output.

The player itself is excellent and I've been very happy with it.

My friend brought his Sony DVP NS955 round last weekend so we could compare his s-video and progressive component outputs to the 2910's s-video and DVI outputs.

We tested both s-video outputs through my Pioneer amp as the switcher, with direct feeds from the Denon 2910 DVI and Sony progressive component outputs. Outputting the picture to my Themescene H30A projector.

Comparing s-video to s-video the picture quality was noticeably better on the 2910. It gave a more detailed and clearer picture overall.

Even the Sony's progressive scan on component wasn't as good as s-video on the 2910!

When I changed the 2910's output to a cheap and cheerful DVI cable my friend was blown away. The picture quality on the DVI output was excellent and gave a much more detailed picture with better colouring than the s-video on the 2910, let alone the poorer s-video or component on the Sony.

Before coming over my friend didn't think that the difference between a £250 player and a £500 player would be so noticeable, and it is, very much so. I'm feeling justified buying a more expensive player and he's now planning to buy a more expensive player when he upgrades.

I'm awaiting delivery of a 10m Van Den Hul HDMI cable with 2 DVI-HDMI adapters. When they arrive I'll perform some more comparisons between outputs on the 2910, maybe even taking some pictures to show you all the differences. I'll keep you informed :D.

Regards,
    Flib.

7. barongreenback

barongreenback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Thanks Mr Flibble. I bought a 1m Ven Den Hul HDMI cable to go with the player and it seems very good (although nothing to compare it against because the 2910 just came with component connects!)