Denon 2910 with DVI/HDMI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by chubbyandy, Dec 22, 2004.

1. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

Very new at this. My question is:

If I got a Universal DVD Player with DVI/HDMI, should my receiver also have HDMI? I am considering getting a Plasma with HDMI or DVI. If I got one without DVI/HMDI inputs, then I guess my DVD player with DVI/HDMI would go to waste, right? If I am just future proofing, then I would just get one without those outputs and just wait till HD DVDs come out and get a new true HD player. Does this make sense? How does a receiver with HDMI come into the picture? Most don't have it at the moment, only the real expensive ones. Just like progressive scan, the cables goes from DVD player direct to display, bypassing the receiver. Correct?

My other question. To play DVD-A and SACD, I would have to get extra audio cables (how many more?) than if I were to just play regular CDs, right?

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can shed some light on the subject. So new and have so many questions, giving myself a headache already.

Thanks

2. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, just in case I decide just to with one without HDMI/DVI outputs, whats a good sub 300 pound DVD/CD player with good picture and audio quality?

Thanks again!

3. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I think that if you have a DVD player with HDMI/DVI, then as long as your plasma has got HDMI/DVI ports, you're ok. It would then not matter about whether or not the receiver(as in amplifier) had these ports.

If you meant receiver as in the media box that comes with some plasma screens, then in that case, the HDMI/DVI ports are on the receiver itself, and the port on the screen is only meant for the media box, so you cant try to bypass the receiver and plug it directly into the screen.(as is the sorry case for my Denon 2910 and Hitachi 42PD3000)

For listening to standard CDs, all you need is the standard 2 plug phono leads, but if its DVD Audio or SACD, then you will need a total of 6 plugs, so three leads for it to carry all 6 channels of sound.

About the non HDMI/DVI player, well the Pioneer 575 seems to have had good reviews and for £120, its well worth the money. Does everything except the HDMI/DVI thing.

Hope that makes sense, cos it's beginning to make my head spin, so I think I'll go have a little lie down :laugh: :laugh:

Niraj

4. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Niraj,

Thanks for your advice. Hope your head has stopped spinning. One more question: The six plugs (that means 3 sets of audio interconnect, huh?) for SACD and DVD-A, are they are they regular phono cables, or are they special ones? I have some nice sets of interconnects and was wondering if I can use them. Do they all have to be the same brand. I believe I have 3 pairs of different makes.

Thanks again

5. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy,

Have only just gathered the courage to check for replies to this thread :):)

Yes, you will need 3 sets of interconnects to get the DVD-A and SACD sound. Not sure if they HAVE to be the same brand, but regarding the quality, there is a saying in India, "The more sugar you put into it, the sweeter it gets" (of course this was its english translation!!!)

Using different brands wont harm the player, so give it a go, and the better the quality of the interconnects, the better the quality of the sound.

Niraj

6. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hello mate ,im looking for a dvd player with dvi or hdmi also and am also new at all this.
    dvi-i will output digital and analog signals which can be pluged in to a dvi to mini d sub
    converter so if like me you end up with a plasma with no dvi or hdmi you can still get a 720p signal out your dvd player.dvi-d is a digital only output and cannot be converted.
    check out the momitsu v880 dvd player,its cheap and seems to be fairly decent.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Momitsu is a very rare breed. Non encrypted HD output from licensed DVD players is forbidden by the DVD forum. So basically, except for a very few DVD players, you will not get 720p analogue out from a DVD player. For the very same reason, DVD players, such as the 1910/2910, equipped with a DVI socket will probably use only the DVI-D socket which is digital only.

-Ian

8. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I just got 3 sets of 1m phonos from TVcables.com, cost under a fiver each, have done the job beautifully....PJ

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    On a similar vein I have hit encryption probs throwing a 96K audio signal from a Pioneer 575 at a Yamaha DSP-A5 amp. This digital to digital situation seems to be a bit of a minefield....PJ

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There are a number of proprietry systems that allow this for CP material. Meridian MHR is one such method but there are cheaper alternatives. But its normally only within one brand. HDMI has the ability to resolve this problem so that different brands can interlink.

-Ian

11. chubbyandy

chubbyandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks pjtx100. Nice to know.