• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Denon 2910 vs Oppo 971H

Dan.Scott1234

Established Member
Hi does anyone have any exprience of both these players?

Obviously there's quite a price tag difference but they both use the Faroudja Genesis 2310 so do they both have similar performance at 720p and 1080i?

I'm narrowing down a short list of players, both of these are on my list and i'm not sure if the Denon is worth the extra £££ over the Oppo.

I'd really appreciate anyones advice! especially any owners!
ps. i'm using a Pioneer 436XDE Plasma if it's of relevance and the player will be connected over HDMI:clap:

Reaperman

Established Member
Dan.Scott1234 said:
Hi does anyone have any exprience of both these players?

Obviously there's quite a price tag difference but they both use the Faroudja Genesis 2310 so do they both have similar performance at 720p and 1080i?

I'm narrowing down a short list of players, both of these are on my list and i'm not sure if the Denon is worth the extra £££ over the Oppo.

I'd really appreciate anyones advice! especially any owners!
ps. i'm using a Pioneer 436XDE Plasma if it's of relevance and the player will be connected over HDMI:clap:

Hi
I have recently acquired a Denon 2910 after road testing the 1920, the Pio 696 and the Sony 76 [IIRC].....the 2910 just blew the others away in all areas...........PQ, sound and no lip sync issues, build quality and the fact I got a 2 yr warranty too.

Oh..BTW all tested using my Pio 436XDE via HDMI on 720p or 1080i

Did I also mention that the 2 chnl audio was pretty damn good too when playing standard CD's....

I did consider the Oppo but it just aint in the same league as a £600 machine....

retro21

Established Member
£160 v £600 is a hell of a difference - is the 2910 worth the extra £460? :confused:

barijohn

Established Member
Well it is only £399 now at Creative AUdio so makes it a bit closer on price!

I have this player and it is a great piece of kit! However only you can decide if you think it is worth the extra.

The picture is noticeably better than the 1920 but the sound was in a different league! Hence the price difference!

:hiya:

Dan.Scott1234

Established Member
Yeah the price drops on the 2910 make it very tempting.

The cuts come presumably as the 2910's about to go end-of-life but that doesn't take anything away from its abilities.

I guess i'm just wondering if it's worth the extra £120 on top of the Oppo 971H when they are both Faroudja based players.

Obviously the chips aren't everything, it's how they're implemented that counts. But exactly how much difference does the individual implementations make? (Constant Oppo firmware updates are a nice thing to have!)

Burr-Brown DAC's are a very nice thing to have in the 2910 but having not been spoilt by a top flight DVD player as of yet it's a matter of 'you can't miss what you've never had' no can I get away with the Oppo???

It's official, I'm rubbish at decisions on AV equipment:hiya:

please help and keep the opinions coming!:)

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
Picture wise I would have to give it to the Oppo, it is more accurate, though the Denon has better audio (CD and analogue outs mainly) and is better built. Depends what is important to you.

C

chachi

Nic Rhodes said:
Picture wise I would have to give it to the Oppo, it is more accurate, though the Denon has better audio (CD and analogue outs mainly) and is better built. Depends what is important to you.
So if one lets their processor handle the audio decoding and effectively uses the DVD just as a 'video transport' then the Oppo gets the nod ...

What's the Denon like on DVD-A MLP ?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
chachi said:
So if one lets their processor handle the audio decoding and effectively uses the DVD just as a 'video transport' then the Oppo gets the nod ...

Yes

chachi said:
What's the Denon like on DVD-A MLP ?

Very decent, as it is on SACD as well.

C

chachi

Nic Rhodes said:
Very decent, as it is on SACD as well.
Hmmm thanks (but don't have any SACDs). Wonder if anyone has tried the 640Kbps track on the new Pulse DVD on the Denon?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom