1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 - RCE

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by soni, Jan 20, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the Denon 2910 DVD Player and i'm in the process of ordering some Superbit DVD's which state that the player must be able to read RCE encoded discs. I've read the following link regarding RCE, and it lists some Denon model numbers that can play RCE, but the 2910 isn't listed.

I would appreicate confirmation either way so as to prevent any waste of money.

Also, are there any other problems that i could run into by purchasing DVD's from other regions/countries.

Thank you in advance.

2. Niraj

Niraj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My copy of Crouching Tiger , Hidden Dragon plays fine on the 2910, according to PlayUSA.com this is an RCE disk.

Oh and my copy of R1 Spiderman (which is confirmed as RCE) works fine too.

4. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1 RCE disc's play fine. Latest one i have is Spider-Man 2 and that plays without a problem on my 2910.

Go buy, and enjoy! :thumbsup:

John

5. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    What firmware version is everyone on here for the 2910?

Been seeing some macro-blocking on mine and did some reading up on the (mainly) Yank AVSforum.

Mine is currently 6720-4, which seems to be behind the versions most of the people on AVSforum have. They also report significant reduction in MB and some other issues fixed with the newer firmwares.

I saw the other post about the 6609-6 firmware, but I am worried about this because the numbering convention doesn't match the current one on my player (6720 vs 6609).

Mine isn't MR, but I was going to get it modded at Sevenoaks. I am also going to see if they know what MR firware version they have.

I mailed Denon and they have replied to a point, without giving any real info.
    I have mailed them again and will post if it's anything useful.

Thanks,
    V.

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    V,

How do i get to check my firmware?

Cheers!
    John

7. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    John,

Do the following:

1. Turn the small power button off on the front of the unit.
    2. Hold down the PLAY and OPEN/CLOSE buttons on the front of the unit, both at the same time.
    3. Turn the power back on and continue holding the buttons for 3 seconds, then let go.
    4. After "LOADING" shows on the display, press the 3,2,6,5 buttons on the remote (in that order) and then press the MENU button to see the version (continuing to press the MENU button 4 more times will give all of the info).
    5. Power off to exit.

Will be interested to see the result!

Regards,
    Chris.

8. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Chris, will give it a shot now.

Thanks,
    John

Update - My firmware is 6720-4 - Make Day 831 - DRV 030825 - System 6768-2 - DSP 6770

I did have some MB, but this has gone since i change my leads. Everything is ok with the player. Maybe the MB is still there, just not shown its head again.

Anyone know where i can get the new update? Only thing is, it must be multi-region.

Cheers for that again, Chris!

9. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thats the same as mine then John.
    Maybe all the newer UK models are on this version.
    I bought mine in December.

What connection are you using?

I don't notice the macro-blocking as much since going from HDMI to component. I am thinking maybe this is only because the component only outputs at 480 and not 720 or 1080.
    I am going to get another HDMI cable and give it another go but want to get the up to date firmware if it really fixes the MB.

Regards,
    Chris.

10. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris,

I was and still am using component, with prog-scan on NTSC and just normal PAL, for R2 PAL disc's. I thought MB only happened with prog-scan, but thats not true, i guess.

Since i went from THOR component cables, to crappy Xbox ones, its been fine.

I'm sort of stumped tbh. The THOR cables show a much better picture, so i can't understand why the blocking shows up with them.

If anyone knows why, please tell....lol.

Thanks,
    John

Ps. Bought my player at the end of November.

PPs. You know when you play your movies in HDMI 720p? Do you have to have the players setting on NTSC only? Just wondering, coz then i could play my R2's in NTSC prog-scan.

Cheers again!

11. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks everybody for your replies!

Niraj: You could start your own online DVD rental company with a library that size!!

I am looking at getting Spiderman 1 R1 Superbit, but won't be getting Spiderman 2 - as i bought R2 - normal - for my 4 year old daughter at Christmas and it seems a bit of a waste to get another of the same movie - even if it is slightly better quality. However, i don't have Spiderman 1 so can justify getting that in Superbit.

I've never heard of 'Macro Blocking', i don't play any video games machines on the TV, however i havn't noticed any blocking on any of the DVD's that i've watched and i'm using HDMI - but y cb y or whatever its called - not HDMI RGB as the RGB seems to give the blacks in Gladiator a horible green tint - so have stuck with the other form of HDMI which gives a fantastic picture. I purchased mine about 2 weeks ago.

Although i'm aware this is the DVD part of the forum, hope nobody minds answering this quick question. I've heard a little about dead pixels on TV blue screen's - i have the Tosh DLP - and have had my nose upto the TV screen tonight and noticed a small black dot - in between the joining lines of the pixels - but can only see one - will this get progressively worse or could it impair picture quality in the future? Its impossible to see 6" away from the screen, so is not bothering me at present, but is this classed as a defective set - should it be replaced?

12. Laura

Laura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'll check my firmware version when I get home tonight.

But it is MR , bought it from AV-land pre MRed.

I haven't noticed any Macro Blocking , i'm connecting it via the DVI port.

Firmware version is:
    6720-4

13. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Soni,

First off sorry to 'hijack' your thread slightly with my firmware question!

I also have the Tosh 46" and whilst I can't see any dead pixels (not really looked that hard to be honest although I have watched a fair bit of stuff on it now), I think there is a 'threshold' for dead pixels on all products these days.
    The Tosh manual actually mentions it on page 4 if you have a quick look.

All I can say is that if you're not happy tell your retailer - but be prepared for them to try and get out of it using the clause in the manual!

I had a similar problem a few years back with a an ADI Miroscan monitor. There were two dead pixels on the 19" screen and they were very noticable to my eyes. When I phoned them, they said that this was normal and I should read my guarantee (which dead mention dead pixels and an allowed ratio of 1 in a thousand or something).
    Now I am not really the complaining type, but I raised merry hell with them over that - I mean whether they think it's acceptable or not is irrelevant - the thing had dead pixels right in the middle of the damned screen!

They sent me two replacements after that and they both had problems. In the end I told them to stick it and bought an Iiyama 19" and never looked back!

Moral of the story - if you kick up enough of a fuss, I'm sure they will sort it...

Phew, bit of a long post that!

Chris.

14. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vandal: I am really happy with the set, the dead pixel is only evident if your within 6" of the TV screen. Its also only noticeable if you have a plain blue screen - as its a black pin sized dot and doesn't notice at all when playing movies. I will be keeping this set, as there is only one dodgy pixel, and i read elsewhere on these forums about the Sharp LCD panel - quite an expensive panel from what i hear - a forum member had one which had one dead pixel so he got the set replaced and the new one had 5 dead pixels - how mad would you be at that!