1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 Prog scan problems? Help!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Rob Sheep, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm feeding an LCD a diet of HDMI prog scan 480p/576i, 720p & 1080i and there is no, and I mean no difference in the picture quality between the different outputs . I thought I was going mad but several friends and family have looked at it and they say the same, that there is no difference.

Can any one suggest what is going on? :lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the processing in the LCD is amazing or useless and negating the point of the denon scaling the video (hence why HDMI and scaling DVD players are 9 times out of 10 a waste of money...........)
    Just my 2 Cents

3. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks old Horny,

That really is what I needed to read, just a good job the wife wasn't looking over my shoulder when I read your post!

I'm pleased to hear that there is a good reason for it, just need to figure out why the damn tv won't play my non-anamorphics! :suicide:

4. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I've figured out the problem I've been having with my TV failing to display non-anamorphic DVDs. The TV will not accept a non-anamorphic DVD via HDMI when set to 720p or 1080i, however dropping the signal down to standard res the TV will play it (I presume the TV does the scaling itself up to 720p?) but the settings on the TV have to be changed to 'cinema' mode etc, it doesn't work with all but it is a start. I'm surprised that there isn't some internal switching for this or that someone hasn't thought of it...

It also makes me wonder if the....no forget it there isn't the space or time, I'm going nuts :suicide:

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Out of interest what LCD is it?

The upscaling bit is a bit of a con, well at least a confusion tactic on the various manufacturers parts. Make it sound like HDTV etc. Upscaling to higher resolutions is a small part of actually improving a signal. The upscaler in the LCD will more than likely do exactly as good a job as the DVD (and may even be the same scaling chip!).

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hello Rob

I wonder if your TV actually accepts an HD Signal - 720P or 1080i at 50Hz; I'm assuming your using R2 discs.

Going back to your first Post I wonder if the TV is 'over ruling' your choice of Output format in the DVD player and no matter what you set the Player to the TV is forcing it to Output something its happy with.

What signals will the TV accept on the HDMI Input?

Best regards

Joe

7. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam & Joe

In answer to your questions,

The TV is a Toshiba 37WL56p (don't touch one, Toshiba don't give a damn about this set, I've had a very bad conversation with them today, and they are not,NOT prepared to fix it until after the 20th of next month, as they haven't the parts!, and neither do they believe that there is a problem, I was as good as told to go and spin!), this a side the TV does work with all regions, but it hates non-anamorphic discs, which Toshiba says it does play (rubbish) they are also giving me a hard time about the buzzing of the back light caused by a faulty transformer board, I've written to trading standards who are going to investigate Toshiba's lack of interest.

8. howard444

howard444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Like my LCD projector it sounds that you have a standard def pixel resolution. The projector can take in other standards but displays them as SD or EDTV.

9. howard444

howard444

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TOSHIBA is great when it comes to projectors.
    Both in terms of the machines themselves and service back-up.
    The division that deals with the service does not touch TV sets.

10. Order Sixty Six

Order Sixty Six

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this today, and I've been looking through all of the threads, and Rob Sheep you seem to have had a problem or two!

I've one of these sets and know of the problems you are talking about, my sister in law had to call Tosh and they made her feel like hell. The product is fine (well mine is) and she has tried to get some info out of them about things and they just haven't wanted to help. However,I agree that the set does over rule the player connected, maybe a word to the wise is don't splash out on too an expensive a player like we did, the internal stuff in the Tosh is just fine, sorry if this is too late in the day :confused: