1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2910 or Pioneer 868 avi ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LFC4ever, Aug 13, 2005.

1. LFC4ever

LFC4ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just bought a Loewe 32 inch LCD HD TV and want to use the HDMI connection ( currently have an Arcam88 plus connected via component ).Can't decide between the Denon 2910 ( 509 cheapest price) and the pioneer 868 ( cheapest price £579 )
    Any advice - or suggestions on other players at this price level really appreciated !

2. squibbly

squibbly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just bought the Pioneer 868 for £500 at Superfi, but you have to go in store to get it. For some reason it's £800 on the website. There were two left in the UK after the one I ordered last Saturday, though one was ex-demo.

Just collected it and testing it out. Picture looks excellent on a CRT (and that's not prog scan, cos I haven't got a component lead yet), though I got a bit worried at first cos the picture wasn't good, but then I realised I had to set the scart to RGB and not Video.

I read loads of stuff on this and came to the conclusion that the Pioneer was about the best and the most reliable. It does suffer from occasional CUE, but nothing else. The Denon seem to have reliability problems (and I recall that the HDMI out is a bit hit and miss, though DVI is OK). The people in the shop rated the Pioneer over the Denon, but since I'd just forked out £500, they probably felt they had to say that. Oh, and they multi region hacked it for free whilst I was there, which I wasn't expecting.

Other models: Marantz 7600 and Yamaha SD2500. You should be able to get them around the £500 mark if you shop around. Marantz is s'posed to be excellent for sound too. Not too many reviews on either though.

The 868 is being discontinued to be replaced by the 989. That looks to be priced at £800 on the web (hence the quick purchase of 868). Oh and the 868 outputs 576i over HDMI, which means in the future you can add a scaler as an upgrade should you wish.

Squibbly

3. dsbaker

dsbaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I have the Denon 2910 and it is an excellent player. I am running it through HDMI to a Panasonic Viera 37" PV500. It has, by far, the best picture quality I have ever seen from a DVD player and I've had a few. Sound output is also very good indeed.

I have also seen extensive demos of the Pioneer 868 and it is also a superb player. I personally couldn't stretch any further to the cost of it but can't honestly say I would have after seeing the Denon. I got mine for £499 (multiregion) from www.leconcepts.com - great service.

I think the thing to bear in mind at these price points is that the quality of these players is pretty good across the board so it comes down to personal preference and how much you're willing to stretch to.