Denon 2910 - Help Advice Please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by soni, Jan 13, 2005.

1. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Guys, havn't posted on this part of the forums before, but just purchased the Tosh DLP and Denon 2910 DVD player. My question is this.

I have the player connected to the screen via HDMI, but the player has two types of HDMI output - HDMI RGB and the other being something like HDMI cy b r or something like that. Which one should i have selected when watching DVD's. What is the difference between each one, which will produce the best picture. If i have HDMI RGB selected then i tend to get a darker picture and the blacks seem to have a green tint to them - where as HDMI cy b r or whatever its called seems to give it a nice bright picture. The instruction manual for the Denon is thicker than a bible, shame it doesn't actually tell you anything worth knowing!

Also, i can't really notice a difference between selecting 720p or 1080i, is this scaling? or progressive scan? or is progressive scan just a different name for scaling?

How do i know if the DVD player is scaling it or whether the built in scaler of the tv is scaling it? When i select 720 or 1080 the tv picture goes of for a second then flashes back on, so is this an indication that the DVD player is doing it rather than the tv?

2. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    You have answered your own question realy. HDMI y pb pr is best used for your display.

HDMI RGB is more for DATA projectors and other types of displays, here you would also use the enhanced HDMI black setting as well. If your getting the green tint then dont use this setting.

Y Pb Pr is like component.
    just make sure your unit is set to 0IRE in the pic adjust menu set HDMI black level as normal with HDMI Y Pb Pr selected, and calibrate brighttness and contrast fron there.

3. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Gandley for your reply. One last question - what is the 0IRE? Is this on the DVD player or the TV? And what does it do?

Allright, more than one question!

Thanks in advance!

4. ozdvduser

ozdvduser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    At The Track or Melbourne Victoria Australia
    Ratings:
    +3
  5. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Soni,

I have exactly the same setup as you - Tosh DLP and Denon 2910.

I actually took my HDMI cable back to Sevenoaks because it definitely gave an inferior picture (to my eyes) than component did.

I now realise that I had it hooked up to RGB rather than YCB (or whatever it is). The picture was still very good, but definitely not perfect.

Think I will get hold of another HDMI cable now and try it again.

Out of interest is your 2910 multi-region? Mine isn't - the one big 'DOH' in my whole purchase. I know there are multi region firmwares floating around on the net but I am reluctant to try them.

Cheers,
    V.

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    0IRE is a setting for black level on the dvd Player.

On the remote at bottom select PIC ADJUST, and where you see M1, M2, M3 etc scroll along till you see SET. push enter on that and just make sure Black level reads 0IRE. the other option is 7.5IRE and this will brighten the pic right up. there are other setting here to like pic postion etc

7. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Vandal: Yes mine is multi-region, got Sevenoaks to do it in store, but havn't used the facility yet. Will be looking at getting some superbit DVD's from the states. My HDMI cable is a QED, cost £43.00 on line, didn't want to spend a fortune on the cable, as i think the cheapest cable that Sevenoaks said they did was about £55.00, although i have seen them for around £250.00! Also have QED Silvery Anniversary speaker cable which does the job rather nicely, so thought i would stay with them.

HDMI RGB seems to make Spiderman 2 look a lot better than HDMI YCB (or whatever its called) as it looks slightly darker and seems to give it that cinema look, although Gladiator is 500% better on HDMI YCB as HDMI RGB displays the picture a way to dark, and if you look at Maximus after he's walked through the field right at the beginning when he looks at the robin redbreast, you'll see that he has really strange looking eyes on HDMI RGB and look at the chin, he's got a strong shadow around it, with a greenish tint.

Gandley: Will check my settings to make sure they're as you suggested - thanks again!

8. Vandal

Vandal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks for that Soni.

Will get myself another HDMI cable and do some playing around, although in all honesty the component picture really is excellent.

Will get back onto Sevenoaks and get them to MR my DVD player.

Cheers,
    V.

9. Ivanhoe42day

Ivanhoe42day

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any of you 2910 owners notice a layer change? If so how long & how often?

10. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ivanhoe - If thats the technical term used for the 2 second pause then yes i have. Although its not annoying as it only happens once or twice during a film, it is a shame as i had a cheap Toshiba DVD player prior to the 2910 (about 5 years old - wouldn't even play CDR's) but even that played DVD's uninterupted by pauses - i never once expierences any pauses in the 5 years i owned it!! I don't know whether these pauses are actually layer changes or not or whether there a fault with the players - as i understand layer changes only occur in long playing DVD's and they are normally set so that they occur during scenes that can hide it - as opposed to the scenes that i've witnessed it on i.e., fast motion scenes that suddenly pause for 2 seconds, then resume! And also, when it occurs, if i take the film back to play the same scene again, it doesn't do it! So don't think its a layer change!:(

11. Ivanhoe42day

Ivanhoe42day

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soni,
    What you are describing is not a layer change, you should take your unit in for service. I had a Toshiba that would lock up during fast moving action once.
    The layer change usually occurs around one hour plus in the movie.
    I have a Denon DVD-2200 that does not do a good job with DVD's that I record, I have an opprotuity to exchange it but am wondering if the 2910 is actually a better unit. The 2200 is lightning fast in every way & plays store bought DVD's flawlessly.
    The HDMI may look great with my 52" Toshiba DLP though.
    Thanks, Ivanhoe

Marantz SR-5200 Reciever, Paradigm Studio speakers, Denon DVD-2200